Proposals are reviewed by a rotating jury comprised of local, national and international artists that have previously exhibited at Locust Projects and one local curator. Locust Projects provides selected artists with curatorial guidance, production budget, artist W.A.G.E. fee, documentation, and an opportunity to stay in the Locust Projects residency.
For 25 years Locust Projects has been committed to supporting the creation and presentation of ambitious new work.
Seeking proposals accepted for new, installation-based work never before presented, created specifically for our Project Room. We present visual artists working in any medium and any stage in their career as long as the work they propose for Locust Projects demonstrably pushes their practice in new directions as part of our mission to invite risk-taking and experimentation. Existing work is not accepted for Open Calls. Collectives and artist collaborations are encouraged to apply as long as the work is presented as a singular vision, budgets remain the same. Artists addressing social justice issues including race, identity, gender parity, basic needs, climate change, environmental advocacy, and more, through their projects are encouraged. Final projects are realized with support from a collaborative environment and supportive Locust Projects staff.
PROJECT ROOM OPEN CALL OPPORTUNITY
- Solo exhibition of ambitious and new, installation-based work created specifically for Locust Projects Project Room (approx. 625 square feet)
- Community engagement with the public through public programs or activations (i.e. conversation, collaboration, performance)
PROJECT ROOM RESOURCES AND SUPPORT
- $5000 max Production Budget (may include but is not limited to: production/fabrication, equipment rental, materials, professional/technical support, installation/construction labor, assistants, shipping, de-installation) Final budget determined based upon dates, proposal scope and scale of project, feasibility.
- $3100 Artist Fee. Artists may use the Artist Fee at their discretion.
- Basic infrastructure provided by Locust Projects includes access to use existing tool and av equipment inventory, up to 24 hours preparator labor/assistance for install/de-install, signage, installation documentation, and promotional support
- Accommodations, travel and per diem are provided to out of town artists. Includes $50 per diem stipend for out-of-town artists up to 21 days and stipend towards roundtrip, coach-class flights or car rental equivalent, and ground transport to and from airport with receipts available to artists that live 150 miles away from Miami (above and beyond travel expenses are applied to production budget).
Submit all of the above through Submittable.
Please direct questions to [email protected].