The New Museum, New York’s only museum devoted exclusively to contemporary art, seeks an Associate Development Director, Grants to oversee and manage the institution’s $2 million grants portfolio. This position works closely with the Director of Development to cultivate, expand, and steward foundation, corporate, and government donors. S/He will oversee all aspects of institutional grants: prospecting and researching; writing proposals and letters of inquiry and final reports; and developing financials in accordance with each grant-making institution’s guidelines. Candidates should possess outstanding expository and persuasive writing skills, a high level of initiative, and an ability to work independently and as part of a team, as the situation requires. Candidates must have a proven track record and demonstrated success with institutional donors including municipal, state, and federal funding agencies. An interest in contemporary art and knowledge of the New York arts funding community is highly preferred.
The Associate Development Director, Grants also serves as the Development Manager for Rhizome, the New Museum’s affiliate new media arts organization who contracts the NM for development services (1 day a week). S/he reports to the Director of Development at the New Museum and the Director of Rhizome.
Primary Responsibilities for New Museum and Rhizome
* Manage and implement foundation, corporate, and government institutional giving initiatives
* Work with Director of Development, Director’s Office, and Director of Rhizome to cultivate, expand, and steward institutional donor relationships
* Timely and quality production of grant submissions and reporting, and other proposals as needed
* Manage an active grants calendar in Raiser’s Edge and update stewardship and cultivation actions as needed
* Facilitate donor communications for and be a primary steward to foundations, corporations, and government agencies
* Strategize on how best to present the New Museum to potential and current funders
* Liaise with other Museum Departments for Development purposes; coordinate inter-Departmental Development meetings and projects to ensure prompt and accurate grant compliance
* Implementation of grant, sponsorship, and major gift contracts including recognition, reporting, and added events and programs
* Maintain familiarity with the New Museum and Rhizome’s range of programs and accurately portrays organizational activities in verbal and written communications
* Assist in the development of annual grants budgets for New Museum; lead development of annual grants budget for Rhizome
* Work closely with the Rhizome Director on board, major donor, and community campaign communications
* Provide support for select fundraising events including: museum VIP openings and spring gala, and Rhizome fundraising events
MA in Art History, Arts Administration, Museum Studies, English, or equivalent preferred. A minimum of three years experience writing mid to high level grants for cultural institutions, excellent communication skills, experience in tracking grants and relationships in Raiser’s Edge, keen attention to detail, superior copy editing skills, strong follow through, and ability to interact with and anticipate funder benefits/needs are required. Excellent time management and ability to meet deadlines; requires flexibility to assume a workload that frequently necessitates an adjustment of priorities. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and its associated applications is required.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and two grant writing samples which demonstrate their range of writing skill to: devjobs[AT]newmuseum.org.