. community —

Re: http://www.c404.tv/

Is Noise still noice depending on the form/ state?

Are we talking about form aestethics here, or deciding on forms?
Sure, each state has its values/ rules and beauty.
Chaos as a value free mode form ( not value-less!) is just another state.

The question is not if water is still water if frozen, but what you want to do with it. And thats more scientific than artiful. Or?

Comments

Rob Myers Dec. 1 2004 04:31Reply

On Wednesday, December 01, 2004, at 11:06AM, Kristina Maskarin <kristina_tina@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is Noise still noice depending on the form/ state?

Which is heavier; a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

Noise is used extensively to make recognisable textures in the shaders used in 3D rendering for films and now games. The brain uses neural noise to make sense of a noisy environment.

>Are we talking about form aestethics here, or deciding on forms?

IMHO How is this different? Surely if one decides that something is a form, or that a form should take a particular form, that is an aesthetic judgement.

>Sure, each state has its values/ rules and beauty.
>Chaos as a value free mode form ( not value-less!) is just another state.

Yes, randomness (which I know isn't chaos, but it's useful as an example of an over-profundised idea in techno-art) is a chosen mechanism.

>The question is not if water is still water if frozen, but what you want to do with it. And thats more scientific than artiful. Or?

I like it in coke. Or whisky. But not whisky and coke. Yuck. That seems more aesthetic than scientific.

- Rob.



http://www.robmyers.org/art

TJ ODonnell April 18 2005 23:19Reply

yoshi sodeoka wrote:

> this digital psychedelic piece means to provoke viewers to judge
> whether noise is just noise, or noise could be pleasantly presented in
> this format. Total of 60 minutes, visual and audio non-sense.

I like it, I was mesmerized by the tones and surprised when they changed (kind of like white noise with a kick!)

however,

I am afraid to say that most of the "code" appears to have been borrowed from http://levitated.net

Jared Tarbell has been producing those "iterations" for the past four years–(he makes the code available for free in the "open source" section) I am a huge fan of his and that is why my mouth dropped when I viewed this piece and saw so many of his experiments contained within and no mention of his name anywhere on the piece.

simon harris July 24 2005 07:27Reply

kristina maskarin wrote:

> Is Noise still noice depending on the form/ state?
>
> Are we talking about form aestethics here, or deciding on forms?
> Sure, each state has its values/ rules and beauty.
> Chaos as a value free mode form ( not value-less!) is just another
> state.
>
> The question is not if water is still water if frozen, but what you
> want to do with it. And thats more scientific than artiful. Or?


Hi Kristina

Is this 404 website as in "Jodi" 404.org or is it 404 as in 391.ORG??

ciauo,
Crescent

yoshi Sodeoka July 25 2005 11:43Reply

Hello.

it's very interesting that people picked this up and talking about it now.. this is my very old piece. I made this piecce about 4 years ago.

just to clarify… yes, a lot of code was borrowed from sites such as Flashkit and other actionscript tutorial sites. Thre's no denying. however none from levitated.net. I don't think I was aware of his work back in 2001. Now, I am familar with Jared Tarbell and I'm a fan but I absolutely used none of his code in this project.

:)

y

http://www.c505.com




TJ ODonnell wrote:

> yoshi sodeoka wrote:
>
> > this digital psychedelic piece means to provoke viewers to judge
> > whether noise is just noise, or noise could be pleasantly presented
> in
> > this format. Total of 60 minutes, visual and audio non-sense.
>
> I like it, I was mesmerized by the tones and surprised when they
> changed (kind of like white noise with a kick!)
>
> however,
>
> I am afraid to say that most of the "code" appears to have been
> borrowed from http://levitated.net
>
> Jared Tarbell has been producing those "iterations" for the past four
> years–(he makes the code available for free in the "open source"
> section) I am a huge fan of his and that is why my mouth dropped when
> I viewed this piece and saw so many of his experiments contained
> within and no mention of his name anywhere on the piece.
>

yoshi Sodeoka July 25 2005 18:55Reply

oh and newer noise from us is here.

http://projects.c505.com/adv_index.html

no Flash, all quicktime.

cheers,

y


> yoshi sodeoka wrote:
>
> > this digital psychedelic piece means to provoke viewers to judge
> > whether noise is just noise, or noise could be pleasantly presented
> in
> > this format. Total of 60 minutes, visual and audio non-sense.
>
> I like it, I was mesmerized by the tones and surprised when they
> changed (kind of like white noise with a kick!)
>
> however,
>
> I am afraid to say that most of the "code" appears to have been
> borrowed from http://levitated.net
>
> Jared Tarbell has been producing those "iterations" for the past four
> years–(he makes the code available for free in the "open source"
> section) I am a huge fan of his and that is why my mouth dropped when
> I viewed this piece and saw so many of his experiments contained
> within and no mention of his name anywhere on the piece.
>

kristina maskarin Aug. 25 2005 08:11Reply

C505 wrote:

> oh and newer noise from us is here.
>
> http://projects.c505.com/adv_index.html
>
> no Flash, all quicktime.
>


Is the tech tool and (de)coding all that matters…
2 Questions:
What are you saying with the Noise and Why?