The Otranto Residency gives artists, writers, photographers and others, the time and space to create new work. It is a haven for creative rejuvenation and intensive focus in a community of peers. This ancient town attracts artists for its light, countryside, sea, architecture and its stratification of cultures since prehistory.
As one Fellow stated, “A few weeks in Otranto re-charged my painting for a year.”
Fellows live within the walled city by the sea. They have individual studios in the legendary Castle of Otranto. Meetings are scheduled with visiting critics if desired. Public exhibition space can be arranged in advance. Fellows enjoy
local cuisine and guided excursions with a helpful staff always available. Residents are supported to work on their own terms with no requirements.
Please see complete application material at http://www.bauinstitute.org/2013_BAU_eBlast_Application_v5.pdf
The Residency Includes:
• Support staff for orientation, translation and general assistance
• Furnished apartments for 1 to 3 people
• Individual studios in the Castle of Otranto
• Special group dinners
• Meetings with Visiting Critics
• Guided excursions to cultural sites and antiquities
Visual Artists: six images of artwork (digital)
Writers: Short writing sample (5-10 pages, digital)
Time-based film or video or recording: DVD or link online.
Everyone Must Submit the Following:
1. Application fee of $40 or 35 €, payable to BAU Institute
2. Indicate if you are self-funded or a BAU grant applicant
4. Short statement of creative intentions
5. Contact information for 2 professional references
6. Passport style photo of applicant
7. Submissions emailed to email@example.com
Follow up information may be requested.
Costs for June 2013
Application fee, $40 (35 €) required before materials submission
Residency for 4 weeks, 3000 €
Residency for 2 weeks, 1800 €
Non-Refundable Deposit, 600 € is due within 3 weeks of acceptance.
The balance is due within 30 days.
(Payment in US dollars is subject to current exchange rate.)