Artistic Rationale for working on the web
2006* Artists who began working on the web because they had no chance of exhibiting due to their field of interest (Cory Arcangel)
* Artists using the web as a tool (Wolfgang Staehle)
* Artists who's offline work is influenced by the internet but also make online (MBS and Marisa Olson)
2008* Everyone is interdisciplinary. (Damon Zucconi, Petra Cortright and Tom Moody)
* Artists using the web as a tool (MTAA -- they've transitioned to this)
* Artists who's offline work is influenced by the internet but also make online (Jennifer and Kevin McCoy)
Internet Outsider Art (found or appropriated material)
* Described as interest in nostalgia. A strategy employed by artists as a means of dealing the rate of technological change (ie a movie looks pretty much the same 15 years later, the internet does not.) Working with older material gives the artist a means of understanding it.
2008* Originality and production. Oliver Laric is quoted by Petra Cortright, who represents the younger generation, "I've kind of come to the point right now where I don't see any necessity in producing images myself -- everything that I would need exists, it's just about finding it" Everyone is talking about surf clubs.