The School of Art at Louisiana State University seeks a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor in the area of Video Games & Esports to begin in the academic year 2022-2023. The successful candidate will be an innovative and dedicated practitioner and educator, with demonstrable skills in a video games and esports related field which falls within the broad academic scope and research/creative activities of the School of Art and Digital Media Arts and Engineering programs. Expertise is desired in an area related to video games and esports. Candidates with clear evidence of potential for excellence in teaching, research, and service are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities include teaching, advising and working with undergraduate and graduate students. Candidate will sustain an active record of scholarship in esports and video games including outreach to high schools and development of courses and curricula; serving the School, College, and University on committees, and in other capacities. Responsibilities will include the development of an area of study centered around esports which integrates new as well as existing digital media arts and computer engineering courses. Candidate will also maintain a commitment to ensuring a healthy, inclusive, and collaborative environment for those involved in the video games and esports community.
• Master's or terminal degree and commensurate experience/practice in a field relevant to video games and esports.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
• Experienced professional practitioners who do not possess the terminal degree are still encouraged to apply.
Candidate should have multiple experiences in esports, video games, or digital media. For instance:
• Prior experience or the capacity to publish, exhibit, or distribute creative works related to esports and video games or any number of related fields such as games as art, game studies, serious games, ludology, user experience, or game art production.
• Experience either leading or participating in esports events or games.
• Experience running events in areas related to video games and esports for instance competitions, streaming, and game jams.
• Should have an established research agenda or the ability to define and execute one in an area relevant to video games and esports.
• Prior experience educating within the field of video games and esports.
To receive full consideration, please provide the following:
• (1) a letter of application (cover memo) with a narrative description of your background, interests and qualifications for the position (3-page maximum).
• Describe courses you are qualified to teach and/or classes you have taught in the past, your research interests and scholarly activities, and relevant practice experience.
• Submissions must also include: (2) a curriculum vita; (3) the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references; and (4) links to or examples of at least 3 scholarly/creative works. A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application; however, original transcripts are required prior to hire.
• Please attach ALL documents in a single PDF under the Resume/CV section of your application. Application review will begin immediately, and will continue until a candidate is selected. The position will remain open until filled. More information about the College of Art & Design, School of Art, Digital Art concentration, and Digital Media Arts & Engineering program are available at
• http://design.lsu.edu, http://art.lsu.edu, http://digitalart.lsu.edu, and http://dmae.lsu.edu.
Additional Position Information:
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
LSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
LSU believes diversity, equity, and inclusion enrich the educational experience of our students, faculty, and staff, and are necessary to prepare all people to thrive personally and professionally in a global society. We celebrate diversity and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion. We actively seek and encourage qualified applications from persons with diverse backgrounds, cultures and experiences. To learn more about how LSU is committed to diversity and inclusivity, please see LSU’s Diversity Statement and Roadmap. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact the Office of Human Resource Management (email@example.com).
COVID-19 Vaccine Protocol:
LSU requires the COVID-19 vaccine for all students, faculty, and staff or mandatory monthly testing. New employees must either submit proof of vaccination within three (3) days of their official start date, otherwise they will be entered into the mandatory monthly testing protocol beginning in November 2021.
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu