We are currently accepting submissions for Issue 0.2: Touch through August 1st, 2021 (midnight PST) that specifically, broadly, or abstractly address the theme of “Touch.”
From our call:
"We are living with the unmistakably eerie feeling that perception has been broken down for parts and recombined into something else. Something built for and by blue-light screens, tiny monophonic speakers, and just enough tactility to find the right key to press or swipe on a glass screen.
For this year’s issue, we are looking for co-conspirators (despite the dangers of breathing together) to rebuild our understanding of touch and its necessity to perception, bodies, and being in the world. "
FLAT journal uses a rolling submission process. FLAT looks for works relating to the intersection of visual and conceptual art, technology, and/or media.
The following types of original, new, or previously published works are welcome:
- Theory/criticism / scholarly research in writing or writing with images
- Reviews of artworks, software, films, television, or other media
- Fiction, poetry, sound
- Photo essays, photography, digital images
- Illustrations, animations, videos
- Instruction based works, software, interactive media
Submit your work here:
Learn more about our open call:
Final Submissions Due AUGUST 1ST should include:
- Abstract (100 - 500 words)
- Full plain text document (.rtf, .doc, .html, or google doc are preferred)
- Artist’s or Author’s short bio
- Links to author’s site or other published relevant works
- Any useful supporting images/media
- Images should be jpg, 1200px on one side (if your work is chosen, we will request high-resolution images at 3000px)
- For videos or interactive media, please provide a link
Your work will be reviewed by our 2020 editorial board for consideration. If your work is chosen for this issue, your content will be shared on our web-based platform (see our first issue), at the designers’ discretion. If you have specific requirements to make your work viewable in the ideal fashion, please let us know, we can work with you collaboratively, especially for interactive or complex media types.
FLAT is a platform for theoretical and critical texts, interviews, reviews, artworks, projects, and experiments that engage with contemporary conversations surrounding emerging media in the arts. FLAT is open to submissions of writing, images, video, interactive works, and almost any possible form of web-based content from writers, artists, and thinkers around the world. Please see open calls for specific information about what themes and media we are accepting at this time. Contributors to FLAT include theorists, technologists, and artists. At this time, FLAT publishes content online in both a themed issue and on a rolling basis and prints one physical publication a year.
See FLAT journal's previous issues here: