Kingsbrae International Residence for the Arts (KIRA) is currently accepting applications for our Summer 2020 Artist in Residence Program.
Artists can apply using the application form at www.kingsbraeartscentre.com/residencies.
Every year KIRA awards eighteen artists with a one month residency. Artists are provided with individual studio space, comfortable housing, two prepared meals each day, a stipend and live on a historic property in a beautiful seaside town. Artists should bring all supplies and materials needed for their creative process, to ensure availability of required supplies and provisions. As part of the residency, artists will be asked to engage with the community for up to six hours a week. These engagements will vary based on skills and interest and can include a partnership with Kingsbrae Garden which is located just steps away from the residence and studios.
Applications are open to a range of disciplines and types of artists including but not limited to the visual arts, music/composition, writing, new media, and interdisciplinary arts. Artists from all levels in their career who exhibit a strong professional work ethic and a collaborative attitude are encouraged to apply.
Program details and support:
- One month of free studio space in a freestanding 300-square foot studio equipped with WiFi.
- Awarded stipend of $1,500 (CAD) per month.
- Private bedroom/bathroom in a well-maintained historic property located steps away from the studio.
- Up to 6 artists living on-site.
- Two meals a day (breakfast and lunch).
- Audience engagement opportunities.
- Access to Kingsbrae Garden and KIRA's public amphitheatre events.
- Scheduled access to: non-toxic printmaking equipment (portable proofing press suitable for linoblock, woodcut, and letter set printing, range of typeset), ceramics equipment (pottery kick-wheels, medium sized kiln, outdoor gas fired kiln), wood shop (chop saws, table saws, planer, clamps, etc.), mechanical shop with a range of basic hand tools and resources.
- Artists will be responsible for covering costs associated with the purchase of materials, shipment of artwork/supplies, travel costs and other living expenses including supplemental food.
- Artists will participate in Open Studios for the public each Saturday from 10am-1pm.
- An end of residency Art Exhibit of the body of work completed during the residency month will take place in the final week of each residence.
DATES: May 22nd - June 18th / June 22nd - July 20th / August 4th - August 31st