The Digital Media & Design Department in the School of Fine Arts at the University of Connecticut (UConn) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in Motion Design and Animation at the rank of Assistant Professor. Primary appointment will be at the UConn Stamford campus. The anticipated start date is August 23, 2019.
Full listing here:
The position will have a focus on Motion Design and Animation. Our ideal applicant has significant creative experience in the area of motion graphics and digital animated film production for the purposes of fine art, entertainment, advertising, marketing, branding, or scientific research and visualizations. The successful candidate will teach courses with a creative focus on animation, motion graphics, design, and cinematic time-based storytelling.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to research and scholarship through: high quality publications, presentations at prominent national and international academic conferences, extramural funding, impact as measured through citations, exhibitions, and/or national recognition as through honorific awards. In the area of teaching, a successful candidate will share a deep commitment to effective instruction at the undergraduate level, development of innovative courses and mentoring of students in research, outreach and professional development. Successful candidates will also be expected to broaden participation among members of under-represented groups; demonstrate through their research, teaching, and/or public engagement the richness of diversity in the learning experience; integrate multicultural experiences into instructional methods and research tools; demonstrate leadership in developing pedagogical techniques designed to meet the needs of diverse learning styles and intellectual interests. Candidates will also be expected to participate in departmental and university service to support curricular and program development and advise undergraduate and graduate students in the department.
UConn is entering a transformational period of growth supported by the $1.7B Next Generation Connecticut (http://nextgenct.uconn.edu/) and the $1B Bioscience Connecticut (http://biosciencect.uchc.edu/) investments and a bold new Academic Plan: Path to Excellence (http://issuu.com/uconnprovost/docs/academic-plan-single-hi-optimized_1). We are pleased to continue these investments by inviting applications for the Digital Media & Design Department.
The Digital Media & Design (DMD) department is a uniquely interdisciplinary academic unit lead by faculty from the arts, business, STEM, and humanities fields. Established in 2013, this innovative and evolving department currently has 19 full-time faculty members across two campuses (Storrs and Stamford), 350 undergraduate and 12 graduate students. DMD is the one of the largest majors at the Stamford campus and offers BFA and BA degrees with the following concentrations:
- Digital Media Strategies for Business (BA)
- Digital Culture, Learning, & Advocacy (BA)
- Motion Media/2D Animation (BFA)
- Web/Interactive Media Design (BFA)
- Digital Film/Video Production (BFA) - in development for Fall 2019
All of our concentrations place a strong emphasis on collaboration and experiential learning. We believe that this best prepares our students for the challenges they may face when working in industry. The department has established strong working partnerships with large and small companies, start-ups, public institutions and charitable nonprofits; giving students hands-on, real-world opportunities that benefit the creative economy of the state.
Building on our corporate relationships and partnerships, DMD Stamford students and alumni have secured internships and full-time jobs at local design agencies and leading digital companies headquartered in Lower Fairfield County. A growing tech community has also given rise to Stamford-based Digital Media startups, the Stamford Global Game Jam, and other hackathon and maker faire events, which allow students and faculty to engage in short and long-term projects within the community.
The UConn Stamford campus is in a vibrant and exciting city – with over 400 restaurants, bars, and entertainment and art venues. With easy access to New York City and home to companies like NBC Sports, WWE, and Blue Sky Studios, Stamford has become a prime location for any practitioner and researcher of Digital Media.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to build upon existing core courses that relate to Motion Design and Animation and participate in building collaborations across the disciplines, including the fields within design, education, engineering, marketing, social media, and business. Excellent communication skills and a collaborative predisposition are essential. Additionally, a successful candidate must be able to maintain an active academic agenda of research and/or professional design projects and engage in service activities consistent with a tenure-track position.
The UConn Stamford campus embraces its remarkably diverse student community, and in support the School of Fine Arts has activated a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff. Therefore, DMD values opportunities to further collaborate with existing internal and external programs that support inclusion initiatives. And we are particularly interested in receiving applications from members of under-represented groups and strongly encourage women and persons of color to apply for this position.
- Terminal Degree (MFA) in Art, Animation, Digital Media, Graphic Design, or other appropriate fields. Equivalent foreign degrees are acceptable.
- At least 4 years of professional experience in design and/or 2 years teaching/research experience at the university level
- Professional experience in Motion Graphics and Animation;
- A strong digital portfolio showcasing innovative ideation, design, and final project implementation in the field of animation and motion design.
- Demonstrated and current expertise in the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro) and Cinema 4D;
- Demonstrated ability to teach at all levels of curriculum from foundation to advanced students.
- Ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the learning experience through innovative research, teaching, and public engagement.
- A record of distinguished teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Demonstrated professional/commercial experience in the motion graphics industry.
- Expertise in film and/or video production, graphic design, interactive design, information design, or new genres and emerging technologies;
- Expertise in Maya, Nuke, Toon Boom, Adobe Animate, and motion capture technologies.
- Evidence of a deep commitment to contribute through research, teaching, and/or public engagement to the diversity and excellence of the learning experience.
This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure track appointment with an anticipated start date of August 23, 2019. The successful candidate’s primary appointment will be at the UConn Stamford campus. Faculty may also be asked to teach at one of UConn’s regional campuses or online as part of their ordinary workload. Salary is competitive and based on background, qualifications, and professional experience.
Please select “Apply” to apply via Academic Jobs Online. Please submit the following and include your last name as well as search #2019303 in the document title for each document submitted:
- A cover letter specifically addressing your credentials relative to the minimum and preferred qualifications listed above,
- A complete curriculum vitae,
- A digital portfolio consisting of personal artwork (include as a link in your cover letter)
- At least 10 examples of student work (include as a link in your cover letter)
- A statement of teaching philosophy,
- A one to two-page research/scholarship statement,
- A one-page commitment to diversity and inclusion statement,
- Names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on February 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, application materials should be submitted no later than February 15, 2019. If you have questions related to the search, please send a detailed inquiry to Stacy Webb, Administrative Assistant for the Department of Digital Media & Design, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with Motion Design & Animation Faculty Search in the subject line. For more information regarding the Department of Digital Media & Design, visit http://dmd.uconn.edu.
Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2019303)
This position will be filled subject to budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.