[text=center]Open call HomeBase BUILD IV Artists-in-Residence (Berlin)
5th of November 2012 – 27th of January 2013
(Deadline 16th of September 2012)[/text]
Sixteen professional artists, social entrepreneurs, architects, performers, writers and other creative thinkers will be working during three months at the HomeBase LAB, Berlin on individual art projects in their live-in studios. They will engage in a creative communal living, educational and cultural program while having a ‘hands on’ collaboration in building different aspects of the HomeBase LAB. The objective is to turn the HB LAB into an innovative cultural center, dedicated to the exploration of Home and experimenting in meaningful urban living.
Through the HomeBase BUILD IV Artists-in-Residence program, the artists will:
• Create new site-specific work within a communal setting.
• Participate in an educational program that focuses on questions of
identity, meaningful urban living and the role of contemporary art in
• Participate in cultural Salons and artists dinners, linked with other
• Contribute to communal living, developing a sustainable infrastructure
as the kernel of our community.
• Participate and have the opportunity to create and host one of the
• Gain professional exposure in the Berlin and the international art world
through visits by Berlin-based curators and via the HomeBase network.
What will I BUILD
Over the course of the residency you will work on your own art practice. The emphasize is on developing an individual exploration around the notion of home, while searching possibilities of out reach a larger community through community based art. In addition each artists will be involved in collaborating with the HB team in forming communal life – each HB artists in residence BUILD’s an aspect helping to construct the HomeBase LAB. Areas of interest for BUILD projects include: garden, neighborhood relations, newsletter, blog, documentation, research, environment and recycling. Each artist will devote a minimum of 3 weekly hours to this project ending with a presentation of their contribution at the final event.
More details about HomeBase BUILD IV Artists-in-Residence
In the program of HomeBase BUILD IV each artist participates as: a learner, a creator and a teacher. The HomeBase BUILD group generates content and to the majority is self-directed, within a setting that HomeBase has established.
The organic process of exploration will unfold within the following given structural form:
• Individual art work: the majority of the time, besides the two scheduled weekly group meetings (LAB Learn, Salon), will be dedicated to progressive art practice in the individual studios – ongoing
• BUILD project: individual work for the community to build the art center HB LAB – 3 hours a week
Weekly group meetings
• LAB Learn: co-learning, facilitated by the HomeBase team, group and guest speakers – 3 hours a week
• HB Salon: a cultural platform which will include cultural conversations, performances, movie screenings, readings and more – followed by a group dinner – 3 hours a week
• Several Public events and cultural salons
• Final Exhibition/ HB FESTIVAL on January 18/19/20, 2012. The Open House event is a public viewing and presentation of the individual projects
*Several guest speakers and artists will be invited to contribute to the process of HB BUILD, enriching the conversation, providing both a local and global cultural perception.
**HB BUILD artists will be promoted and exposed through the HomeBase network, an existing network of thousands of international art lovers.
HomeBase BUILD IV Schedule
Duration: 5th of November 2012 – 27th of January 2013
(*HB BUILD IV program includes only 83 days, please notice that this information is important for visa requirements depending on the countries.)
The residency fee of 1200 Euro, includes the following:
• a live-in studio with access to the shared living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, garden, office
• educational program
• all the program details described above
• special edition of the HomeBase newsletter/publication
• exposure and promotion via HomeBase network
* OPEN CALL off-site artists
We are also accepting up to five artists which will be part of the program yet will not have a studio on site. These artists will participate in the full program, have access / use of communal / co-working space and will be promoted as HBB VI Artist-in-Residence. The fee is 500 Euros.
Food, art materials and other personal expenses are not included. Visa and insurance is not arranged by HomeBase.
For more information www.homebaseproject.org