PORTFOLIO (17)
BIO
Salvatore Iaconesi is an interaction designer, robotics engineer, artist, hacker. TED Fellow 2012 and Eisenhower Fellow since 2013.

He currently teaches Interaction Design and cross-media practices at the Faculty of Architecture of the “La Sapienza” University of Rome, at ISIA Design Florence, at the Rome University of Fine Arts and at the IED Design institute.

He produced videogames, artificial intelligences, expert systems dedicated to business and scientific research, entertainment systems, mobile ecosystems, interactive architectures, cross-medial publications, augmented reality systems, and experiences and applications dedicated to providing products, services and practices to human beings all over the world, enabled by technologies, networks and new metaphors of interactions, across cultures and languages.

His artworks and performances have been featured worldwide at festivals and conferences.

Salvatore actively participates to global discussions and actions on the themes of freedoms, new forms of expression and on the future scenarios of our planet from the points of view of energy, environment, multi-cultural societies, gender mutation, sustainability and innovation on both society and business, collaborating with institutions, enterprises and international research groups.
Discussions (128) Opportunities (10) Events (19) Jobs (0)
DISCUSSION

Re: second life dramas .. forgot


Eric Dymond ha scritto:
> Well it's kind of interesting that virtual vandalism was taken so deeply. I mean it hardly matters does it? Just repost the data. Hard to believe the scripts brought down the server, but if it's a kind of a second life email bomb thats ok with me.It has a dark beauty to it, as well as revealing how much people have vested their real emotions into a chimerical existence.
> The digital originals can be copied endlessly, so the disruption of the social context is a tough sell to me. I think the virtual vandalism opens up some really great insights into the psychology of (some members of) the SL community and digitla communities in general.
> nice,
> Eric
i sincerely think that this is nice.

i performed tricks like this one all over second life, exploiting bugs, server limitations, tecnological platforms breaking down....

and i had all kind of people arguing like hell!
i'm at.. like what.. my 6th avatar?

so i thought i try with the artistic community, and see how they react...

well, the answer is in your eyes: art and art-supporters want to move in second life and try to replicate real life contexts ther, with no debate on the rules (if any) that make sense in that context.

which i don't say is a thing that i don't understand.
second life opens up new spaces for people not doing "classical" art productions. this opportunity itself is fanastic, and i see them wanting to preserve what they make.

especially after having to deal with the hundredth gallerist saying something like "hu? software art? no painting? no dance?"

but i must add that it is an exquisite evidence of the relationships people have with the social networking technlogies, and, specifically, with virtual worlds.

my best!
s

DISCUSSION

Re: RHIZOME_RAW: second life dramas


Martin John Callanan ha scritto:
> It's just rude and lacks any respect.
>
> Salvatore's own argument fails. If he did this under a bridge no one would
> pay any notice. If he did the same in an gallery, event, (or anywhere public
> that isn't his mother's house)...
>
> The Frieze Art Fair is in London next week - I'll pay your entrance to see
> you have your teeth kicked in after you try your crazy shit there.
>
>

:)

you people take yourselves oh so seriously.

the fact that you do it on second life related issues is just plain interesting.

DISCUSSION

Re: second life dramas


hello Sugar!

Sugar Seville ha scritto:
> It's unfortunate that this has to be my first post on Rhizome, and probably imprudent to respond to this sort of thing at all, however... now that this conversation is in a public forum (which I am ok with despite the fact that it is a second life terms of service violation for this user to post it outside of SL). I just want to say that by calling mister Laconesi a critic - I meant no disrespect to critics. I also do not believe that art should be censored and have no intention to do so. I was simply acting in the interests of the other users of the Odyssey servers in an issue of management.
Let me just say i just love your message.

you do understand it is actually pointless banning me or anyone else from you space: second life allows me to get back in with another account and you'll never tell me from the other one.
maybe i'll be exposing in your space with another name and alias next week.
maybe i already am.

you do understand that i even don't care if i get completely thrown out of that software environment, for teh same reasons.
you do, really, understand that a kind of act like mine did have no sense if "agreed on" beforehands.
you do understand that i don't take my act so seriously, because it's in a different context, because "that place" is just another "thing".
you do realize that you're not talking about real installations, and that you can just set back your data and everything gets back ok.

you do understand that second life is another form of social context in which.. well... some real life rules make no sense at all.

you kick me out? i'll be back with another alias another look another identity.

you take my artistic 3d objects :) away? i can duplicate them millions of infinite times.

second life's management trows me away? I bet they will never have a clue when i get back.

your server crashes if i do my tricks? well, it's just part of second life: a set of technological platforms with bugs and hardware limitations.

yet understand your position and i actuall would have thrown out myself but i wouldn't take myself so seriously if i was you.

i once flooded a guys lawn on second life. he had his avatar there watching tv. he insulted me at my email address for like 3 weeks. i found it rather grotesque...

my best!
s

DISCUSSION

Re: RHIZOME_RAW: second life dramas


don't think i don't get your point, or the "modded" :) author's point of view.

but, just to make mine a bit more explicit

system limitations:
lag, system crashes, bugs, hardware requirements and limitations are part of second life.
servers crash. too many people/objects don't fit (technically) into a single space. scrips halt. textures get lost into the void....
it's part of tht reality. part of the story.
it's like a zen story: you use the world to explain itself. simply because there isn't much to explain, after all.

ownership:
i know that personal ambition and economic sustainment are important. but a clear question arises on what makes sense.
if your aim is to recreate the mechanisms present in "First Life" (ohmygod, i hate saying that) fine: go on and preserve your rights to ownership.
if you intend to explore the possibilities offered by digital ecosystems, a deep change of attitude is something to deeply take into account.
one example for all: the famous copybot.
the other example: squatting virtual spaces using bugs.
another, a bit more complicated, example: digital media arrives on my computer/mp3player/television/projector/you_name_it. By the fact that they're there, they are truly duplicated on something that's "mine" (they are on my hard disk, in my cache, on my monitor using my computing power, my electricity, my mousekeyboradspekersamplifier).
what do you want from me, author?
new media are made to be copied, messed with, changed, duplicated, hacked.

art:
what's happening in art in second life hs at least a couple of faces.
one of them sees people building huge/small/medium stuff and placing it somewhere, placing a tag beside it and smiling a bit: "hello, i'm the artist"
and it includes people tking objects animating them and making them move, and disappearing and reappearing and changing sizeshapeform. without making any sense.
code aesthetics? yes, print it and hang it on a wall.
just because you can bypass gravity with polygons, and crete virtually huge things and red and blue and green and they change_over_time_and_environment and cars and towers and enormous flowers that blossom when you hit [enter], it doesn't mean they're interesting.
sense. this makes sense.

art, again:
since when was art the process of "being nice to each other"? or "respecting each other", as a matter of fact?
is "new art" about it? i sincerely doubt it. Unless you legitimate those trends in which curators and critics tend to substitute the space that was once occupied by artists.
seems more like mcDonald than art.

and there's quite a few more points, but i'm falling asleep :)
maybe later
byebye

DISCUSSION

second life dramas .. forgot


and, by the way, the whole drama was about this:

http://odysseyart.ning.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=xdxdVSxdxd

which raises a serious issue, if you take second life seriously: what happens when, in a contemporary art context, an act of a kind that is *totally* legitimated by the avantgardes is called "griefing", or "vandalism"?

watch out street-arters! watch out contemporary performers! the polygon cops are gonna get u!

:)

life is fun, after all...