Michael Szpakowski
Since the beginning
Works in Harlow United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

PORTFOLIO (1)
Discussions (984) Opportunities (3) Events (14) Jobs (0)
DISCUSSION

Re: Your role in stopping the war against Iraq


<Let me clarify my position on the war before I go on
(in order to avoid any
confusions). I'm neither for nor against it. I
understand both sides of the
arguments and they both make sense to me,>
well! you clarified your postion, we've avoided any
confusion - great - that must be a relief to the
parents of the 500,000 kids that have died because of
sanctions, and the thousands of young soldiers who
will die, or to those who will fall under the category
of 'collateral damage'.
What your apparently sophisticated arguments hide is
a contempt for any sort of real engagement with life ,
which inevitably means taking moral postions and which
inevitably means trying to establish the truth of
things which you dismiss so loftily.
You know - rather Wally Keeler, who at least is
passionate and cares, than your smug abstentionism.

=====
http://www.somedancersandmusicians.com/

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com

DISCUSSION

Re: Your role in stopping the war against Iraq


< Let's take it easy.>
let's not actually -let's rage at the fact that in a
world which could feed, clothe, house and educate
everyone and then some, our leaders ( who do not know
more than us -
just would like to claim to) are taking us into a war
in order to defend the interests of US big business
and it's oil arm in particular.
Your argument is a species of post structualism which
purports to be intellectually heavyweight but which
devolves down to a lazy 'everything is relative' , 'it
all depends on interpretation' that an eleven year old
would find unsophisticated.
The next time I get on a plane I'm going to hope damn
hard that the pilot's rules of physics are the same as
mine.
What is absent from your argument is any notion that
the driving force of history is not the ideas of
clever people ( and the clever person almost always
seems to be the one putting the argument) but the
material circumstances under which human beings labour
in the world to sustain and reproduce life in order
that anyone has time to philosophise.

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/

=====
http://www.somedancersandmusicians.com/

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com

DISCUSSION

Re: We Interrupt This Art...


good idea Daniel.
I've done the same -I suggest we Brits link to
http://www.stopwar.org.uk/
which is the Coalition's site - they're organising the
15th February demo which promises to be huge.
best
Michael

--- "marc.garrett" <marc.garrett@furtherfield.org>
wrote:
> Thanx Daniel,
>
> Will do - already had a look at this site, and its
> kool.
>
> marc
>
>
> > I have violated the artistic purity of my precious
> NewZoid to insert
> messages on the site against war with Iraq. In them
> I recommend signing the
> anti-war statement found on http://www.moveon.org. A
> nice feature of that
> well-written statement allows you to add your
> personal comments to it.
> >
> > I respectfully suggest that other artists may find
> it appropriate to
> temporarily interrupt their artworks to make their
> views known.
> >
> > Daniel Young
> > + ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup
> > -> post: list@rhizome.org
> > -> questions: info@rhizome.org
> > -> subscribe/unsubscribe:
> http://rhizome.org/preferences/subscribe.rhiz
> > -> give: http://rhizome.org/support
> > +
> > Subscribers to Rhizome are subject to the terms
> set out in the
> > Membership Agreement available online at
> http://rhizome.org/info/29.php
> >
> >
>
>
>
> + ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup
> -> post: list@rhizome.org
> -> questions: info@rhizome.org
> -> subscribe/unsubscribe:
> http://rhizome.org/preferences/subscribe.rhiz
> -> give: http://rhizome.org/support
> +
> Subscribers to Rhizome are subject to the terms set
> out in the
> Membership Agreement available online at
http://rhizome.org/info/29.php

=====
http://www.somedancersandmusicians.com/

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com

DISCUSSION

Re: One Day Left


<I hope that Rhizome, as a public space,
has been useful enough, and engaging enough, that
our survival matters to you, too.>
Absolutely. Certainly to me it does - I think it's a
tremendous resource & whenever I feel a bit aggravated
with some or other aspect of it I think to myself
"would I like to do any of the organisational work
associated with it?" & the answer is a big fat no.

The argument is not about $5 is it? Clearly anyone who
lives in the US and the majority of Europe who really
can't afford $5 a *year*(=less than one and a half
cents a day) is not thinking about new media art but
where their next mouthful is coming from.

Lastly the question of community: it's one of those
rather touchy feely words that I as a rather awkward
Brit have never that felt comfortable with..but..
I have to say that participating in the list and
looking at the site has been a real education for me
,I've met some very nice and some very interesting
people (and some who are both) and I've been
stimulated by what is in fact quite a large amount of
constructive debate .. and what does warm the cockles
of my cynical old heart is that when the discussion is
good it's very good indeed ..and that sometimes you
can see an almost palpable decision by a number of
contributors to start discussing something
constructive..examples being the thread Mark River
started recnetly and going back further, Eryk's 'Six
rules..' thing , which idea in particular has been a
really fertile and important one for me and my work.
It's when those moments happen that I feel I can mouth
the word community without blushing.
I read everything that Eryk posts, everything that
Curt, T.Whid, M.River, Ivan Pope post, most of what
Marc Garret, Jess and Max ( come back Max) post (most
of only because they're so damn prolific) plus I read
lots more.
I'm glad I read it and I learn a good deal from it.
I'd be extremely sorry to lose any of those
distinctive and fascinating voices and I really hope
that people will calm down, pay their $5 and stay and
apply themselves once more to a collective effort to
keep the list constructive and interesting ( which
doesn't mean of course conflict free).
If you find a particular contributor to be a pain in
the arse then block him/her then follow up by sending
something interesting to the list.
Oh and the Artbase ..OK maybe there are ( are there?)
people who don't have a life and work beyond the
Artbase and feel cheated that so many are getting in
and robbing them of their exclusivity but I think the
policy is about right- we simply don't know now who is
our Cezanne, our Picasso.
I suspect in 50 years the Artbase will be an
*extraordinarily* important historical document with a
fighting chance of containing included said net
Picasso, Cezanne.
that's my two pennyworth.
best
michael

=====
http://www.somedancersandmusicians.com/

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com

DISCUSSION

Re: Stardust stirred with Black Coffee


That's great!
let me guess -you mark sections in both tunes just
before downbeats & then randomize which one streams in
at any particular point?
Did you pitch shift to match key at all or was it just
careful choice /luck?
It's nice that the source material *is* so clearly
there.
anyway, great stuff
michael
--- Jim Andrews <jim@vispo.com> wrote:
> Here is another little experiment i have been
> puttering with:
> http://webartery.com/audio/stardust.htm
>
> It should stream OK to 56k modems. Though it will
> not have much variety in it for a while for
> 56k modems. You'll experience more variety in the
> sound sooner the faster your connection.
>
> It is Sarah Vaughn's "Stardust" stirred in "Black
> Coffee".
>
> Here is the idea for this piece. Cut up 'Stardust'
> into good loops (it is cut into 25 approx 7-8
> second loops). I thought 'Stardust' sounded a bit
> like 'Black Coffee' in some ways, or they're
> related, anyway. Cut up a fair amount of 'Black
> Coffee' this way also (though the tempo is
> trickier in 'Black Coffee', not as regular). Then
> play sound 1 of 'Stardust'. Then play some
> sound from S1 where S1 is a set of sounds that sound
> OK after sound 1. S1 includes sounds from
> 'Stardust' and 'Black Coffee'. Make such a set for
> each sound in Stardust and Black Coffee, ie,
> the next sound that is played is selected not
> entirely at random but from a set of sounds that
> sound OK after that particular sound. So I suppose
> it's a kind of Markov chain thing.
>
> Anyway, i learned a few things from it. The first
> thing is that rather than 2 songs i should be
> using a lot more songs. much more variety...
>
> Acid makes this sort of thing much easier...
>
> ja
>
>
> + ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup
> -> post: list@rhizome.org
> -> questions: info@rhizome.org
> -> subscribe/unsubscribe:
> http://rhizome.org/preferences/subscribe.rhiz
> -> give: http://rhizome.org/support
> +
> Subscribers to Rhizome are subject to the terms set
> out in the
> Membership Agreement available online at
http://rhizome.org/info/29.php

=====
http://www.somedancersandmusicians.com/

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com