Kate Southworth
Since the beginning
Works in Cornwall United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

PORTFOLIO (4)
BIO
glorious ninth (http://www.gloriousninth.net) is a collaboration between artists Kate Southworth and Patrick Simons. They make artworks and DIY installations for galleries, online and other places. Recent works have started to explore the use of protocol as a medium. Kate Southworth is research leader of the iRes research cluster in Network Art at University College Falmouth (http://www.ires.org.uk).
Discussions (51) Opportunities (1) Events (5) Jobs (0)
DISCUSSION

Re: british artists practice on the net


Dear Jess

There's us lot here at Glorious Ninth - nano-marxist aesthetic realists

best wishes
Kate

jess3/4/03 18:45jess@rssgallery.com

> I'm writing an article this week for the Brit art mag a-n about british
> art practice on the net. Although I kind of know mainly who and what
> I'd like to focus on, I wondered rhizome brits would fancy posting
> their urls on the list so I give a good balanced overview. I think
> it would make interesting viewing for everyone anyway as MT has been
> throwing phrases like 'European nodes' around...
>
> cheers,
> jess.
>
> o
> /^ssgallery.com
> ][
>
>
>
>
>
>
> + ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup
> -> post: list@rhizome.org
> -> questions: info@rhizome.org
> -> subscribe/unsubscribe: http://rhizome.org/preferences/subscribe.rhiz
> -> give: http://rhizome.org/support
> +
> Subscribers to Rhizome are subject to the terms set out in the
> Membership Agreement available online at http://rhizome.org/info/29.php

DISCUSSION

late contribution to membership debate


Hello everyone,

Apologies for not being around for a while. I've just moved down to
Cornwall to start a new MA programme in Interactive Art & Design at Falmouth
College of Arts, and that's taken up most of my time for the last few
months.

I've been following some of the discussions, and in particular the
Membership fee debate.

Although my contribution is a bit late, I should like to say that I consider
Rhizome to be a hugely important community and resource and am more than
willing to pay a membership fee, and whatever else it takes to help to
ensure it survives.

Jess and Lisa's conversations about 'tickets' to online lectures etc. and
'non-credit courses' - echo some ideas on the subject that I've been
thinking about over the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone think there might be enough educators out there who would be
willing to pay for 'virtual' lectures, crits etc? Artists, writers,
theorists, programmers etc. (rhizome members) could prepare sessions on
specialist topics with links to, for example, relevant works, and have them
stored in some central database. Perhaps rhizome could act as facilitator
Rhizome takes a handling fee, and the 'author' is paid a delivery fee each
time the 'session' is accessed?

love,
Kate

DISCUSSION

Re: Re: Charity CD Project


Sounds like a great idea Jess. Count Patrick and I in!

Or how about members doing conceptual 'remixes' of other member's work.

love
Kate

Jess Loseby11/5/02 18:46jess@rssgallery.com

> Hi,
> not sure how long this thread has been ongoing as I have been AWOL
> recently... I am guessing from this that you are suggesting a CD with
> various collborative works (visual/audio) from rhizome members?
>
> If I have got the right end of what you are suggesting Why not put the
> work on a someones site starting off with 'donated' static images/
> text/sound files .. as open pieces which can be ripped by everybody
> participating. People can then freely work the material to create
> something individual which are uploaded again as open files/source
> These can then taken again and added to, manipulated etc At the end
> of a specified time limit you should (in theory ha!ha!) a number of
> collaborative works in various forms and stages. From static to full
> blown ...er, whatever. Obviously someone would have to bottom line it
> but if no-one is willing to open their ftp up to everyone we can get a $0
> site for $30 and hopefully the work created for the CD will be worth a lot
> more than that....
> My advice would also be that the works should be anonymous until
> finished. That way (although pieces might be identifiable by the feel or
> technology used) you would have a really cross-list involvement rather
> than people who might naturally choose to work together collaborating.
>
> If I have got the idea messed up, apologies for not being on the case...
> jess.
>
>
>>
>>
>> <How about each peice use as input, output from
>> another piece on the CD? >
>> I think this is a great idea -we are talking artowrks
>> rather that audio CD here right?
>> Why not an immediate call for participants on the
>> list.
>> (maybe with specific mails to people it would be good
>> to target)
>> Then someone ( lee, joseph?) decides an order of play.
>> It's made clear that these things need to be made to a
>> shortish deadline
>> The first work is created and mailed or a link is sent
>> to the next artist, and so on.
>> The disadvantage here is that even if each artists
>> make a piece in a week we're still talking 20 weeks
>> so....
>> ...to make it quicker I suggest the original work is
>> mailed to two artists and so on - or even maybe the
>> 'order of play' could be Rhizome like.
>> The thing i really like about this format is that it
>> feels very collective- it would also be great to have
>> artists who have engaged in fairly fierce polemic on
>> the list united in common cause -how about Grancher
>> remixes Cloninger or vice versa &c.( maybe this is a
>> bit unlikely but you get the point!)
>> anyway thats my two penny worth.
>> best
>> michael
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> joseph (cor e form art) + (porat per ance ist)
>>> frank + lyn - mc + El + roy
>>>
>>> go shopping ->
>>> http://www.electrichands.com/shopindex.htm
>>> call me 646 279 2309
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Quoting Lee Wells <leewells@bb19.net>:
>>>
>>>> Hello all
>>>>
>>>> Should we decide upon a theme?
>>>> What are the primary social topics discussed on
>>> Rhizome?
>>>> First thing to come to mind for me was, kNOwwWARe.
>>>> All just a play on words, sounds, images.
>>>> I think it should make people laugh. People need
>>> to laugh more.
>>>> How can we make this more of a collaboration that
>>> a group of individuals
>>>> from Rhizome making a compilation CD?
>>>>
>>>> Help me out here
>>>> Cheers
>>>> Lee
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> on 11/4/02 1:57 PM, Max Herman at
>>> maxnmherman@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> This is going to have to wait for me till Jan
>>> 03. I'll be off neternet
>>>>> stuff till then.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> From: joseph@electrichands.com
>>>>>> To: Lee Wells <leewells@bb19.net>
>>>>>> CC: Max Herman <maxnmherman@hotmail.com>,
>>> mt@rhizome.org,list@rhizome.org
>>>>>> Subject: Re: RHIZOME_RAW: Membership fee?
>>>>>> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:52:32 +0000
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ok lets get it organized.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Max, you curate the CD show.
>>>>>> Lee, you promote the show
>>>>>> I will get the first 100 CDs mastered and
>>> printed.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We sell it for $50 bucks a peice.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I cover my costs and Rhizome should net around
>>> $4500
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ready 2 go?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> joseph
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Quoting Lee Wells <leewells@bb19.net>:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I donate art to Rhizome, music, images, etc.
>>> The CD Idea is preaty good
>>>>>> and
>>>>>>> has worked for other nonprofit org like,
>>> Lumpen Magazine in Chicago.
>>>>>>> http://www.lumpen.com/
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> on 10/25/02 2:12 AM, Max Herman at
>>> maxnmherman@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Yeah, I was thinking a big fatty music CD,
>>> all proceeds to Rhizome,
>>>>>> I'd
>>>>>>>> donate a song'r two.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> From: joseph@electrichands.com
>>>>>>>>> Reply-To: joseph@electrichands.com
>>>>>>>>> To: Mark Tribe <mt@rhizome.org>
>>>>>>>>> CC: list@rhizome.org
>>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: RHIZOME_RAW: Membership fee?
>>>>>>>>> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 05:45:52 +0000
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Its time to talk about industry mergers.
>>> Forget the membership fees,
>>>>>> very
>>>>>>>>> few
>>>>>>>>> will pay. If you are about to fold, either
>>> fold, or start a capital
>>>>>>>>> campaign
>>>>>>>>> to raise 7 figures. Fold or Bold.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> joseph
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Quoting Mark Tribe <mt@rhizome.org>:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Hi Rhizomers:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I am hoping to start a discussion here on
>>> Raw about Rhizome's
>>>>>> financial
>>>>>>>>>> situation and a possible solution. This
>>> email is rather long, but
>>>>>> I'd
>>>>>>>>>> appreciate it if you'd take the time to
>>> read it through, give it
>>>>>> some
>>>>>>>>>> thought, and let me know what you think.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> First, some background information. It will
>>> cost about $400,000 to
>>>>>>>>> operate
>>>>>>>>>> Rhizome.org this year. Here's how we spend
>>> it: $6,000 on
>>>>>> administrative
>>>>>>>>>> fees (mostly processing credit card gifts);
>>> $122,000 on operating
>>>>>>>>> expenses
>>>>>>>>>> (phone, rent, web hosting, office supplies,
>>> etc.); $177,000 on
>>>>>> payroll
>>>>>>>>>> costs (salaries, health insurance, payroll
>>> taxes, etc.); $93,000 on
>>>>>>>>>> professional fees (writers, commissions,
>>> consultants, etc.). These
>>>>>>>>> numbers
>>>>>>>>>> may seem high to some of you, but we
>>> actually run a very lean,
>>>>>> efficient
>>>>>>>>>> operation. It simply costs a lot of money
>>> to run a nonprofit
>>>>>>>>> organization
>>>>>>>>>> that offers as many programs to as many
>>> people as we do.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> In the past, most of our revenue has come
>>> from foundations, but
>>>>>>>>> foundation
>>>>>>>>>> support is shrinking. We had hoped to make
>>> up the difference through
>>>>>>>>> earned
>>>>>>>>>> income from web hosting and online
>>> education, but those services are
>>>>>>>>>> getting off to a slow start. We have also,
>>> as you surely know, tried
>>>>>>>>> asking
>>>>>>>>>> for voluntary contributions. But so far
>>> this year only about 1% of
>>>>>> our
>>>>>>>>>> 19,000 members have made gifts.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> The Rhizome Board of Directors met for its
>>> quarterly meeting last
>>>>>>>>> Friday.
>>>>>>>>>> The main topic was how to solve our
>>> financial problems. I proposed
>>>>>>>>> putting
>>>>>>>>>> the organization into hibernation mode.
>>> This would entail shutting
>>>>>> down
>>>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>>>>> office, laying off the staff and
>>> discontinuing most of our programs.
>>>>>> We
>>>>>>>>>> would keep the web site up, ask the
>>> SuperUsers to continue to
>>>>>> publish
>>>>>>>>>> texts, and keep Raw online. But everything
>>> else would stop: no more
>>>>>>>>> Digest
>>>>>>>>>> or Net Art News, no more commissions, no
>>> more events. We'd stop
>>>>>> adding
>>>>>>>>> new
>>>>>>>>>> projects to the ArtBase, stop improving the
>>> web site (we have a long
>>>>>>>>> list
>>>>>>>>>> of bugs to fix and features to add) and
>>> stop planning new programs.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> The Board felt that hibernation would be a
>>> big mistake. Once we went
>>>>>>>>> into
>>>>>>>>>> hibernation, they argued, it would be very
>>> hard to re-emerge and
>>>
>> === message truncated ===
>>
>>
>> =====
>> http://www.somedancersandmusicians.com/
>>
>> __________________________________________________
>> Do you Yahoo!?
>> HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
>> http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
>> + be me
>> -> post: list@rhizome.org
>> -> questions: info@rhizome.org
>> -> subscribe/unsubscribe: http://rhizome.org/preferences/subscribe.rhiz
>> -> give: http://rhizome.org/support
>> +
>> Subscribers to Rhizome are subject to the terms set out in the
>> Membership Agreement available online at http://rhizome.org/info/29.php
>
> o
> /^ rssgallery.com
> ][
>
>
>
> + be me
> -> post: list@rhizome.org
> -> questions: info@rhizome.org
> -> subscribe/unsubscribe: http://rhizome.org/preferences/subscribe.rhiz
> -> give: http://rhizome.org/support
> +
> Subscribers to Rhizome are subject to the terms set out in the
> Membership Agreement available online at http://rhizome.org/info/29.php

DISCUSSION

Re: Re: Charity CD Project


If someone doesn't mind going over it again, a recap would be much
appreciated.

Kate

Jess Loseby11/6/02 17:01jess@rssgallery.com

> That would be great Kate, although I don't know what being 'in' means
> yet. It was just an idea I suggested but I still can't work out what stage
> the ideas are and if it consistent with what was be proposed before.
> I think it could work, and I have a domain I could 'donate' (nowhere.tv) if
> people wanted to give it a go but (as I said to michael) I can't work out
> where the conversation is at...
> jess.
>
>> Sounds like a great idea Jess. Count Patrick and I in!
>>
>> Or how about members doing conceptual 'remixes' of other member's work.
>>
>> love
>> Kate
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Jess Loseby11/5/02 18:46jess@rssgallery.com
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> not sure how long this thread has been ongoing as I have been AWOL
>>> recently... I am guessing from this that you are suggesting a CD with
>>> various collborative works (visual/audio) from rhizome members?
>>>
>>> If I have got the right end of what you are suggesting Why not put the
>>> work on a someones site starting off with 'donated' static images/
>>> text/sound files .. as open pieces which can be ripped by everybody
>>> participating. People can then freely work the material to create
>>> something individual which are uploaded again as open files/source
>>> These can then taken again and added to, manipulated etc At the end
>>> of a specified time limit you should (in theory ha!ha!) a number of
>>> collaborative works in various forms and stages. From static to full
>>> blown ...er, whatever. Obviously someone would have to bottom line it
>>> but if no-one is willing to open their ftp up to everyone we can get a $0
>>> site for $30 and hopefully the work created for the CD will be worth a lot
>>> more than that....
>>> My advice would also be that the works should be anonymous until
>>> finished. That way (although pieces might be identifiable by the feel or
>>> technology used) you would have a really cross-list involvement rather
>>> than people who might naturally choose to work together collaborating.
>>>
>>> If I have got the idea messed up, apologies for not being on the case...
>>> jess.
>>>
>>>
> o
> /^ rssgallery.com
> ][
>
>
>

DISCUSSION

Glorious Ninth in the new edition of CIAC'S electronic magazine


Hello everyone

Just to let you know that one of our pieces 'Who_Owns_Them_Controls' is
reviewed in CIAC's electronic magazine number 15, which focuses on sound
explorations in web works.

http://www.ciac.ca/magazine/en/cadre.html
Laters,
Kate