For this call we're looking for articles, stories, and featured projects related to the following:
physical interactive experiences, data visualization, projects using screen based materials in conjunction with non screen based elements, new and exciting projects (screen based and not), interviews with commercially, artistically, or academically successful project developers / leads, encounters and experiences with great examples of intriguing new media, and sneak peeks at upcoming projects
If you have an idea for something you'd like to propose or perhaps you already have an article in the works, feel free to submit. We hope you understand that this will be a very selective process as we want EMN8 to be sought out for quality information / content.
To submit send an email to EMN8mag@gmail.com with "Issue 01" as your subject line by June 30, 2012. Please include a short CV that highlights your achievements as well as any links to current work or writing examples (if available). If you are submitting an idea for an interview or an article topic, please be as specific as you can (and a short abstract would be greatly appreciated).
Video Exhibition: Shifting Ground
Gallery Gray is looking for video submissions for its upcoming exhibition titled "Shifting Ground".
Here we stand at a transition point looking back on the first 10 years of the 21st century. Many events have transpired in the last ten years that have forever altered regional, national and global communities and cultures. However, people have adapted, and are now living in a new world that is still very unpredictable. This exhibition will explore our new reality.
Entries for this exhibition should be inspired by one of the following:
1. Events or shifts that have taken place since Jan. 1, 2000 that have caused change, locally or globally.
2. Ways in which people have acknowledged and/or responded to new situations and concerns.
Visit Gallery-Gray.com for more information on the exhibition and details for submitting.
I’m pleased to say that I’ve accepted an Assistant Professor position in the Art and Design department on the campus of Missouri State University. I will be teaching courses in the areas of Digital Art and Computer Animation. I will also be helping in the transition to the wonderful new group of buildings that will house A&D. (Link Below)
In addition, I have been awarded a summer research fellowship to develop a motion sensor activated interactive experience that deals with decontextualized comments sourced from social media sites and comment threads. I will be updating my site with information and images of this project as it develops.
Once, a monk named Soṇa was practising walking meditation with such determination that his feet started to bleed. This became apparent and Soṇa was asked
- ‘Before you became a monk, weren’t you skilled in playing the lute?’
- ‘I was.’
- ‘And when the strings were too tight or too loose, was the music pleasant and tuneful?’
- ‘And when the strings were neither too tight nor too loose, was the music pleasant?’
- ‘In the same way, when an effort is too intense it results in agitation and when it is too weak, it results in slackness. Therefore, Soṇa, keep your energy in balance, be sensitive to a balance between the faculties, and you will attain your goal.’