This is the ENDD: The E-Cigarette in Context
the New Museum
Sat Feb, 22 2014, 3PM
NJOYs. Blus. Smokefrees. V2s. All manner of customized vaporizers. This is the moment of the e-cigarette, or more precisely, the Electronic Nicotine Delivery Device (ENDD). Day by day, the broader public is learning (and contesting) what it means to "vape": how one does it, where one can do it, and what it means to do so. As individuals, industries, and governments stumble towards definitions, Rhizome has commissioned a group of artists and critics to present analyses—historical, political, social, anticipatory—of this technology and the discursive field that is emerging around it.
Rhizome is dedicated to art and ideas that create richer and more critical technology cultures. With this program, we continue our examination of influential, technological objects from interdisciplinary points of view, in the context of artistic research practice.
- Artists Mathew Dryhurst & Brian Rogers on the history of the electronic cigarette
- Health education professional C.A.B. Fredericks on the technology’s fractious reception in his field
- Art critic Orit Gat on the vape shop experience, by way of the French e-clopinette
- Tracy Jeanne Rosenthal's new performance on psychological drives after the cigarette
- A video intervention initiated by Pirate utopia on the ecig’s sculptural properties
Additionally, Rhizome.org will host a number of contributions, including a front-page project by Dutch artists Pinar & Viola, and a #VapeCru Mix Tape featuring Aaron David Ross (Gatekeeper), Holly Herndon, and others. The event branding was designed by Nick Bastis.
Rhizome public programs receive major support from The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts. Additional support is provided by the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs and the New York State Council on the Arts. This event was funded in part by Poets & Writers, Inc. with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.