. blog —

Punk Rock 101 (2006) - Cory Arcangel

kurtletter.jpg

A while back, I made a web page which paired Kurt Cobain's suicide letter with Google Ads (google ads are generated from the text of the page they appear on). It was up for a while but after getting digged google decided to remove the ads from the page. I took some screen shots while it was up and below are two examples of what it looked like. Also below are the checks that google sent me!

— Share this Article —

Comments

Robert Petrosino April 10 2010 19:01Reply

I hate you Cory Arcangel

Benjamin Dorian April 12 2010 05:52Reply

"It's better to burn that to fade away." What a classic insight!

mark cooley April 15 2010 16:43Reply

neil young

cowwithaballoon April 12 2010 20:06Reply

It is interesting piece of "performance art". I think that is about how the internet is a cold heartless machine though which people can turn a dime off another person's tragedy. But then again I would also just argue that it is just about how one asshole can do something mean but the internet will eventually correct it. It is about how Google doesn't really check the pages it allows it advertises on. But it wasn't really their decision in the first place to put the ads their, but it seems like once they discovered how their ads were being used to exhibit bad taste. The artist is the asshole who "gamed" the system. It even seems to violet intellectual property rights, even if it isn't. Mostly I think I am just overly optimistic in saying that in the end this project is just showing the the world works the way it should.

sterling crispin April 18 2010 01:59Reply

this is fantastic

zeus martin Jan. 14 2011 22:25Reply

I think it would amuse kurt to know that someone generated some income from his suicide letter, and I seriously doubt he would be offended or would care, although I'm not sure if its tasteful or classy by today's standards. its just sad to read that thing, oh man. Poor guy.

A. Andreas Jan. 14 2011 23:16Reply

This is:

a) A profound showing of 'nonintelligence'

b) A neo liberal 'art' attitude, popular in current Anglo-Saxon culture, also popular in Great Britain

c) North America's insane media oriented superficial visual culture

d) Incapability to see that the future will take place somewhere else

your answer: a,b,c,d
more answers possible

A. Andreas Jan. 15 2011 07:01Reply

Reposting this one, previously my posts did get through allegedly Rhizome's Walled Garden

This is:

a) A profound showing of 'nonintelligence'

c) North America's insane media oriented superficial visual culture