Working on Discuss

Posted by Patrick May | Mon Jun 16th 2008 6:49 p.m.

Hello,

I'm putting into place a few improvements / adjustments to the Discuss section, with the goal of making extra-long threads more easy to follow. I will be in touch with a full report once these changes are completed, probably tomorrow.

Cheers,

Patrick
  • Patrick May | Tue Jun 17th 2008 6:32 p.m.
    Hello,

In response to concerns about the Discuss section voiced on and off list, we made a few tweaks to how it works:

[list]
    [*]Comments that are new since your last visit are highlighted in red. This should improve the readability of large threads.
    [*]There now is an option to "Preview" when replying.[/list]

As always, let us know if you have any questions or find any issues.

Best,

Patrick
  • T.Whid | Tue Jun 17th 2008 8:23 p.m.
    +++

Thanks!

+++
  • twhid | Thu Jun 19th 2008 6:16 p.m.
    +++

1 more thing before you go... it would be great if there was a way to mark all stories as not new.

best,

Tim
    • Patrick May | Mon Jun 23rd 2008 1:04 p.m.
      Hello,

We've added a link to the discuss section -- Mark all as old. This will remove the "new" flags from all current posts.

Cheers,

Patrick
      • Frederic Madre | Mon Jun 23rd 2008 2:15 p.m.
        Mark all as old. This will remove the "new" flags from all "

wow, thanks, I guess we now have the possibility to use that powerful conceptual tool on both Tom Moody and T. Whid at the same time...

I'm thinking of a new feature related to that
        would it be possible whenever anyone clicks on "Mark all as old" that the version number does a +0.1 ?
  • Frederic Madre | Mon Jun 30th 2008 6:42 a.m.
    I'm sorry to report that it does not function correctly: Tom Moody and Whid can't be marked "all as old", they always reappear and probably think they are adding something new to their discussions
    what's to be done ?
    • t.whid | Mon Jun 30th 2008 8:52 a.m.
      +++

haha
      • Frederic Madre | Mon Jun 30th 2008 9:09 a.m.
        you, rear guard of net art, you!
        • t.whid | Mon Jun 30th 2008 10:25 a.m.
          +++

I prefer to think of myself as the color guard.

+++
  • Frederic Madre | Wed Jul 2nd 2008 6:24 a.m.
    sorry to report that the "mark all as old" doesn't function for me
    I read this board from 2 different PCs, I clicked "mark all as old" on one and that did wipe away all the red new tags
    when I looked on the other PC some of them had reappeared
    now that I'm back on the PC where I marked all as old they are still there...
  • Vijay Pattisapu | Sat Jul 5th 2008 3:38 p.m.
    Patrick --

The nesting limit is defeating the purpose of the format. In complex arguments with multiple parts that multiple people are responding to and remixing in different ways, if we can't reply past the fifth degree, then we're actually better served by the plain old email format, where we could be clear about the particular rhizomatic outgrowth of discussion we're getting in on.

-- Vijay
  • Rui Pedro Fonseca | Sat Jul 5th 2008 4:35 p.m.
    Hi there,
    Can someone please tell me the link to a call for "political art writing", or something similar like this?

• On the Joan Collinization of Rhizome Discuss | Mon Nov 17th 2008 4:27 a.m.
    Mine is not simply a linguistic concern since Freud had used the term “Ich” to refer at times to the self in its totality and at others to an agency or a part of that self.
  • Martin Rieser | Mon Nov 17th 2008 8:25 a.m.
    Can you please block Joan Collins and his/her spam which is ruining the list-it all goes into my junk folder at present!
    • A. Andreas | Mon Nov 17th 2008 3 p.m.
      I completely agree with this suggestion

It is rather annoying and stops me from reading this list.

AA
    • Vijay Pattisapu | Wed Nov 19th 2008 1:05 p.m.
      What's worse: tedium or police?

Vijay
      • Rob Myers | Fri Nov 21st 2008 4:19 p.m.
        Joan Colins", like Sting, is both tedium and police.

This is the gentrification of discuss.