Joywar in Harpers

Posted by Jason Van Anden | Tue Jan 16th 2007 4:39 p.m.

Hi All,

Page 53 of the Feb 2007 issues of Harpers has an excellent article by
our own Joy Garnett and the photographer of Molotov Man ... Susan
Meiselas. Rhizome is mentioned prominently as are the better halves
of MTAA.

Pleasant surprise - great read - check it out - yea!

Molotov! ;)
Jason Van Anden
www.smileproject.com
  • patrick lichty | Tue Jan 16th 2007 5:49 p.m.
    Yeah, I was really pleased to see that, and was surprised that they used
    my image. I'm glad to see that get coverage... Can't wait to get that.

Patrick Lichty
    - Interactive Arts & Media
    Columbia College, Chicago
    - Editor-In-Chief
    Intelligent Agent Magazine
    225 288 5813
    voyd@voyd.com

"It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees."

-----Original Message-----
    From: owner-list@rhizome.org [mailto:owner-list@rhizome.org] On Behalf
    Of Jason Van Anden
    Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:45 PM
    To: Rhizome
    Subject: RHIZOME_RAW: Joywar in Harpers

Hi All,

Page 53 of the Feb 2007 issues of Harpers has an excellent article by
    our own Joy Garnett and the photographer of Molotov Man ... Susan
    Meiselas. Rhizome is mentioned prominently as are the better halves
    of MTAA.

Pleasant surprise - great read - check it out - yea!

Molotov! ;)
    Jason Van Anden
    www.smileproject.com

-> post: list@rhizome.org
    -> questions: info@rhizome.org
    -> subscribe/unsubscribe: http://rhizome.org/preferences/subscribe.rhiz
    -> give: http://rhizome.org/support
    Subscribers to Rhizome are subject to the terms set out in the
    Membership Agreement available online at http://rhizome.org/info/29.php
  • M. River | Wed Jan 17th 2007 1:38 p.m.
    Hey Rhizers.

Yup, check out the Feb 07 issue of Harper's for a brief overview of "Joywar" from both Joy Garnett and Susan Meiselas’s sides of the coin. Joy gives a big shout out to the list. (I’d post a link but it’s not up yet.)

Also, the issue has a great article on “plagiarism” by Jonathan Lethem.

…old media thinking about new media ideas? rock.
  • joy garnett | Thu Jan 18th 2007 6:51 a.m.
    Hi folks,

The Feb issue of Harper's isn't quite out yet on the news stands;
    unfortunately, blog-like though their site is, it doesn't look like Harper's
    puts their content online ever (grrrrh); however, a fellow named Christopher
    Reiger, whose blog, "Hungry Hyaena," is a staple on many art-blogrolls,
    emailed me earlier this week for permission (!) to use the Molotov image in
    a write-up of the Harper's piece. (TWhid, I gave him the url to your mirror,
    in keeping with the spirit of the whole damn thing).

I checked it this morning, and his piece is up:

ity.html

It's worth a read. He does a bang-up job of parsing the article and
    discussing the issues at hand, and connecting a few extra dots to boot. He
    also quotes liberally from both the Joy/Susan piece and the Jonathan Lethem
    "plagiarism" piece that MRiver mentions below (which is probably the
    funniest, most brilliant thing I've ever read).

Once again, props to Rhizomers, Joywar perps, etc., for there ain't no story
    here without them.

cheers,
    Joy

On 1/17/07, M. River <mriver102@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hey Rhizers.
    > Yup, check out the Feb 07 issue of Harper's for a brief overview of
    > "Joywar" from both Joy Garnett and Susan Meiselas's sides of the coin. Joy
    > gives a big shout out to the list. (I'd post a link but it's not up yet.)
    > Also, the issue has a great article on "plagiarism" by Jonathan Lethem.
  • MTAA | Thu Jan 18th 2007 7:49 a.m.
    Yeah, I didn't see it on the stand.

M.River brought his copy over and I looked it over but didn't read the
    entire piece. I guess I don't get a comp.. :(

It's great that they're covering these issues. I'll definitely pick up a
    copy when they hit the stands.

Best,

Tim

On 1/18/07, joy.garnett@gmail.com <joy.garnett@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    > The Feb issue of Harper's isn't quite out yet on the news stands;
    > unfortunately, blog-like though their site is, it doesn't look like Harpe=
    r's
    > puts their content online ever (grrrrh); however, a fellow named Christop=
    her
    > Reiger, whose blog, "Hungry Hyaena," is a staple on many art-blogrolls,
    > emailed me earlier this week for permission (!) to use the Molotov image =
    in
    > a write-up of the Harper's piece. (TWhid, I gave him the url to your mirr=
    or,
    > in keeping with the spirit of the whole damn thing).
    > I checked it this morning, and his piece is up:
    > http://hungryhyaena.blogspot.com/2007/01/creative-restraint-and-responsib=
    ility.html
    > It's worth a read. He does a bang-up job of parsing the article and
    > discussing the issues at hand, and connecting a few extra dots to boot. He
    > also quotes liberally from both the Joy/Susan piece and the Jonathan Leth=
    em
    > "plagiarism" piece that MRiver mentions below (which is probably the
    > funniest, most brilliant thing I've ever read).
    > Once again, props to Rhizomers, Joywar perps, etc., for there ain't no
    > story here without them.
    > cheers,
    > Joy
    > On 1/17/07, M. River <mriver102@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > Hey Rhizers.
    > > Yup, check out the Feb 07 issue of Harper's for a brief overview of
    > > "Joywar" from both Joy Garnett and Susan Meiselas's sides of the coin. =
    Joy
    > > gives a big shout out to the list. (I'd post a link but it's not up yet=
    > > Also, the issue has a great article on "plagiarism" by Jonathan Lethem.
  • joy garnett | Fri Jan 19th 2007 11:56 a.m.