APRIL 15 2004
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(from Debs & Co.)http://www.debsandco.com/
Art Star/Sausage Factory
April 15th -- May 8th, 2004
Debs & Co. 525 West 26th Street, Second Floor, New York, NY 10001.
We're super-jazzed to invite you to participate in our oh-so-conceptual
and sort-of-object-driven spring show, Art Star/Sausage Factory: A
Communal Progressive Drawings-for-Sale Exhibition. The deal is this: we're
inviting artists and other people who(m?) we really like to make a drawing
(or drawings) in the gallery. These drawings will be immediately added to
the show. In addition, anyone visiting the gallery throughout the run of
the exhibition is welcome to make a drawing and add it to the show.
There will be a large communal drawing table set up at the gallery, with a
fairly extensive assortment of supplies. (And, of course, some really
top-drawer paper!) Here's the details:
1. All drawings must be completed at the gallery. You can bring whatever
materials or components that you like, but the works should at the very
least be assembled here.
2. We will hang the drawings by pins unless you provide (and hang) the
drawings by other means.
3. You may take whatever real estate you like in the gallery, or you can
leave the hanging of the work to our discretion.
4. After you complete the work, the front office will give you a standard
consignment form. Retail price for the drawings will be double the
artist's asking price. If you'd like $50 for your drawing, we will price
it at $100. If you'd like $40,000 for your drawing, we will price it at
5. If you are represented by a gallery, please obtain their permission in
advance to participate, as we will not be preparing individualized loan
forms with other dealers, nor, due to the nature of the show, will we be
fulfilling individual contractual obligations. If your gallery would
prefer that you not participate, please respect those wishes. If your
gallery has any questions, please have them give us a call.
6. We will collect and pay sales tax on all applicable sales.
7. You must provide us with name, phone number, and mailing address for
8. Please keep in mind that we reserve the right to split discounts up to
20% -- 10% for each party. If any discount should exceed 20% of the retail
cost, such as in the event of a museum sale, the gallery will absorb the
9. Artists in the exhibition will be identified by name, most probably in
the form of small wall labels near the drawing, and definitely by a
publicly-available price list at the front desk.
10. Although we will probably not exercise it, we must reserve the right
to remove any work from the show for any reasons.
11. Unsold work must be collected by the artist after the exhibition (at
any time). Work remaining uncollected after 90 days from the close of show
will become part of our collection.
12. The first half of the show's title is taken from a song by the Yeah
Yeah Yeahs, from their first EP, Master.
13. This document, in the interest of "conceptual purity," will also serve
as the show's press release.
Nick and Choire