is google god?

Posted by MTAA | Sat Jun 28th 2003 7:18 p.m.

interesting take on tech from the well-known NYTime's foreign affairs
dude:

from the column:

'Says Alan Cohen, a V.P. of Airespace, a new Wi-Fi provider: "If I can
operate Google, I can find anything. And with wireless, it means I will
be able to find anything, anywhere, anytime. Which is why I say that
Google, combined with Wi-Fi, is a little bit like God. God is wireless,
God is everywhere and God sees and knows everything. Throughout
history, people connected to God without wires. Now, for many questions
in the world, you ask Google, and increasingly, you can do it without
wires, too."'

overblown hyperbole?

<t.whid>
www.mteww.com
</t.whid>
  • Mark Shepard | Sat Jun 28th 2003 7:48 p.m.
    now this is interesting, maybe - setting aside the whole nationalist
    bit (a dead end, IMhO) -

<snip>
    We ... "have to work even harder to build bridges," argues Mr. Wright,
    because info-tech, left to its own devices, will make it so much easier
    for small groups to build their own little island kingdoms. And their
    island kingdoms, which may not seem important or potent now, will be
    able to touch us more, not less.
    </snip>

on island kingdoms (enclaves) and other matters:

ashcroft's worst nightmare

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 06:15 PM, t.whid wrote:

> overblown hyperbole?
  • ruth catlow | Sat Jun 28th 2003 9:16 p.m.
    >God is everywhere and God sees and knows everything. Throughout
    >history, people connected to God without wires. Now, for many questions
    >in the world, you ask Google, and increasingly, you can do it without
    >wires, too.

Isn't one significant difference between Google and God, that God perceives
    the significance and value of all the information in the known and unknown
    universe, for all time.

I'd be fairly confident that no-one would claim the same for Google. Or are
    we giving up on sentience now?

;-)
    ruth

"t.whid" wrote:

> interesting take on tech from the well-known NYTime's foreign affairs
    > dude:
    > from the column:
    > 'Says Alan Cohen, a V.P. of Airespace, a new Wi-Fi provider: "If I can
    > operate Google, I can find anything. And with wireless, it means I will
    > be able to find anything, anywhere, anytime. Which is why I say that
    > Google, combined with Wi-Fi, is a little bit like God. God is wireless,
    > God is everywhere and God sees and knows everything. Throughout
    > history, people connected to God without wires. Now, for many questions
    > in the world, you ask Google, and increasingly, you can do it without
    > wires, too."'
    > overblown hyperbole?
    > http://nytimes.com/2003/06/29/opinion/29FRIE.html
    > --
    > <t.whid>
    > www.mteww.com
    > </t.whid>
    > + ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup
  • Ivan Pope | Sun Jun 29th 2003 5:35 a.m.
    > Subject: RHIZOME_RAW: is google god?

> overblown hyperbole?
    Depends whether you think god is omnipotent or merely omnipresent. Google is
    in some sense omnipresent, but it is hardly omnipotent ... which in my view
    makes it another god among many. Ta, Ivan
  • nick barker | Mon Jun 30th 2003 6:44 p.m.
    Ivan Pope wrote:

> > Subject: RHIZOME_RAW: is google god?

While wrestling with this question and weighing up the similarities between God, who created heaven and earth (or so I am told) and Google who catalogued a lot of it, I suddenly began wondering if doogle was a dog.
    I thought that that was going to be easy but it wasn't so I asked God "is doogle a dog"? and God answered
    "The following words are very common and were not included in your search: is a " and then suggested 264 places I might go and find out for myself instead of pestering him/her. (S)he was pretty quick about it (0.16secs) and I was well impressed but became suspicious when I went to http://www.doogle.info and there was nobody home so I decided to try and get to the root level of the issue and tried asking "is there a dog"? Again God didn't really seem to know the answer and (s)he took a bit longer over it this time (0.85 secs) sending me on a wild dog chase to
    Is there a DOG? - 371. Some people have questioned the very existence
    of DOGs and all of their works. Please visit this site, http://faq.ozoneasylum.com/371/rating/
    I became very suspicious and looked up expecting to see God shining in rainbow colors - but guess what I saw?
  • Ivan Pope | Mon Jun 30th 2003 8:01 p.m.
    > From: Nick Barker <rhizome@nickbarker.org>

> Subject: RHIZOME_RAW: Re: Re: is google god?
    > Ivan Pope wrote:

>>> Subject: RHIZOME_RAW: is google god?
    > While wrestling with this question and weighing up the similarities between
    > God, who created heaven and earth (or so I am told) and Google who catalogued
    > a lot of it...

Misreading your question, I thought I also should ask Google if Google is
    good.
    Google thought long and hard about this (1.4 seconds), and, after two
    responses that tried to throw me, gave me:

The Register
    ... out. Or as Seth Finkelstein reminds us,"Google is good, but not God."

I think that neatly closes the circle. Apart from that Dog ...

Cheers,
    Ivan
  • Roopesh Sitharan | Mon Jun 30th 2003 11:12 p.m.
    Faith/Believe plays an important role in the existence of God.HE works in mysterious and sometimes does Impossible stuffs(as I was taught). Google is merely a device which answers your questions and request. Thus the existence of Google is based on literal means of an answering device which does not require our input other that curious.