Grad School: SAIC vs RISD

Posted by Nick Briz | Tue Mar 17th 2009 2:46 p.m.

I’m currently debating between two graduate programs: RISD and SAIC. There are a lot of factors in my mind right now (namely faculty, location, finances - I’ve yet to hear from SAIC on that matter). But ultimately, I’m looking for a school that shares my sensibilities. Without going into too much detail on what those are I’ve felt for a while that the rhizome community shares those sensibilities and my views on digital media + culture/society and so I’m very interested (and would be extremely grateful) with anything anyone might have to say about the two school’s Digital/New Media programs as well as any other thoughts that might help inform my decision.

(if anyone cares to see I have a piece on rhizome as well as some work on my site nickbriz.com)

Thanks in advance,
-Nick-

• Pall Thayer | Wed Mar 18th 2009 7:02 a.m.
    I would think that a program that challenges your views and sensibilities would be more rewarding. Agreeing with each other for 2 to 3 years doesn't add a lot.
  • Nick Briz | Wed Mar 18th 2009 9:08 a.m.
    Thanks Pall. That can be true as well. I’m currently at a film school were that is very much the case, and though that sometimes (and in my case I feel that it has) instigates creativity and an uncompromising work ethic it can also get old and discouraging. I need a change of pace, I’m looking for an environment that will nurture my views as well as challenge them.
  • Natalie Bookchin | Thu Mar 19th 2009 12:10 a.m.
  • Nick Briz | Thu Mar 19th 2009 3:16 a.m.
    I hadn't heard of this. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention Natalie, though I'm not sure what this might mean.

• matthew draving | Sun Aug 2nd 2009 12:06 a.m.
    as a sculpture undergrad at risd, i cant fill you in completely, but I took various classes in the grad D+M dept at RISD and they were some of the best classes I took... Of course not all of the students had the same motivations for learning the material as I did, so there were inevitably aimless arguments, but just as many challenging discussions. I'd say overall that some of the best graduate work at risd comes from the digital media department. I dont know if I'm too late to help, but I would surely recommend it.
    I think your work is really engaging, not falling too far into one category or another.
    good luck!

matthewdraving.com
    • Nick Briz | Sun Aug 2nd 2009 1:41 a.m.
      thanks for your thoughts... I'm actually starting SAIC in a few weeks though.
      fingers crossed.

(I want to enter the tip of the iceberg)
      -nick-