raw.rss

Posted by Francis Hwang | Fri Jun 3rd 2005 1:12 p.m.

Now available at Rhizome: a Raw RSS feed!

http://rhizome.org/syndicate/raw.rss

Right now this feed re-posts the entire text as posted originally. So
it's suitable for reading, reposting, etc., etc. There are now three
separate ways to track the discussion on Raw: by email, by web, and by
RSS syndication feed.

I set the feed to track the last 40 items, which right now means it's a
sort of big feed, at 87k. Of course with Raw's traffic the way it is,
the resulting feed only tracks about the last 36 hours worth of posts.
I'm considering excerpting some of the bigger posts, and having more
posts per feed, if 36 hours isn't enough ... anyway, let me know if
you're using it and have suggestions for it.

This is one of those things that we couldn't have done three weeks ago.
I hope y'all find it useful.

Francis Hwang
Director of Technology
Rhizome.org
phone: 212-219-1288x202
AIM: francisrhizome
+ + +
  • MTAA | Sat Jun 4th 2005 9:58 a.m.
    Rock.

    Thanks Francis. I'm going to experiment with using the RSS feed and web interface. This is the first time I'm not subscribed to RAW in.. probably 8 years. Weird...

    One thing that might make it easier. You could maybe put a default 'post a message' box at the bottom of the threads. Then if you just want to join the thread you can. But keep the 'post a reply' button on each entry so that people can choose to reply to specific entries. Might save a click and page load now and then.

    OH, one more question. Can I post to Rhizome_RAW via email if I'm not subscribed? It would be nice to post via email but reply via links from the feed. Best of both worlds that way.

    Take care,

    Francis Hwang wrote:

    > Now available at Rhizome: a Raw RSS feed!
    >
    > http://rhizome.org/syndicate/raw.rss

    >
    > This is one of those things that we couldn't have done three weeks
    > ago.
    > I hope y'all find it useful.
    >
  • Francis Hwang | Mon Jun 6th 2005 8:58 a.m.
    On Jun 4, 2005, at 11:58 AM, t.whid wrote:

    > Rock.
    >
    > Thanks Francis. I'm going to experiment with using the RSS feed and
    > web interface. This is the first time I'm not subscribed to RAW in..
    > probably 8 years. Weird...

    Seems to me that syndication feeds, not email, are definitely the
    future regarding broadcast text. Adoption will come slowly, of course,
    but syndication being integrated into web and mail clients is going to
    help quite a bit.

    > One thing that might make it easier. You could maybe put a default
    > 'post a message' box at the bottom of the threads. Then if you just
    > want to join the thread you can. But keep the 'post a reply' button on
    > each entry so that people can choose to reply to specific entries.
    > Might save a click and page load now and then.

    How would such a thing work if you weren't logged in? Anybody can read
    an RSS file, but you need to log in with your email address to post to
    the list.

    On the other hand, just double-clicking on the item title should take
    you to the web page, with the standard "Reply to this" button. Then the
    web site can force you to log in if necessary.

    > OH, one more question. Can I post to Rhizome_RAW via email if I'm not
    > subscribed? It would be nice to post via email but reply via links
    > from the feed. Best of both worlds that way.

    Yeah, you should be able to. I sort of hacked majordomo to allow this.
  • MTAA | Mon Jun 6th 2005 9:20 a.m.
    Francis Hwang wrote:

    > On Jun 4, 2005, at 11:58 AM, t.whid wrote:
    >
    > > Rock.
    > >
    > > Thanks Francis. I'm going to experiment with using the RSS feed and
    > > web interface. This is the first time I'm not subscribed to RAW
    > in..
    > > probably 8 years. Weird...
    >
    > Seems to me that syndication feeds, not email, are definitely the
    > future regarding broadcast text. Adoption will come slowly, of
    > course,
    > but syndication being integrated into web and mail clients is going
    > to
    > help quite a bit.

    total agreement.

    >
    > > One thing that might make it easier. You could maybe put a default
    > > 'post a message' box at the bottom of the threads. Then if you just
    > > want to join the thread you can. But keep the 'post a reply' button
    > on
    > > each entry so that people can choose to reply to specific entries.
    > > Might save a click and page load now and then.
    >
    > How would such a thing work if you weren't logged in? Anybody can
    > read
    > an RSS file, but you need to log in with your email address to post
    > to
    > the list.

    you would just do a check. So when you follow the link from the feed to the site to reply (you could even include a 'reply' link in the feed (in the description tag, after the text of the post). If one is logged in, the reply box is at the bottom of the thread page. If not, a 'login to reply' link.

    >
    > On the other hand, just double-clicking on the item title should take
    > you to the web page, with the standard "Reply to this" button. Then
    > the
    > web site can force you to log in if necessary.

    Y, that's how it works now. I was just suggesting that instead of having to click the 'reply to this' button, you could just include the form at the bottom of the thread if people are logged in.

    >
    > > OH, one more question. Can I post to Rhizome_RAW via email if I'm
    > not
    > > subscribed? It would be nice to post via email but reply via links
    > > from the feed. Best of both worlds that way.
    >
    > Yeah, you should be able to. I sort of hacked majordomo to allow this.

    cool, thanks.
  • Francis Hwang | Mon Jun 6th 2005 12:47 p.m.
    On Jun 6, 2005, at 11:20 AM, t.whid wrote:

    >>> One thing that might make it easier. You could maybe put a default
    >>> 'post a message' box at the bottom of the threads. Then if you just
    >>> want to join the thread you can. But keep the 'post a reply' button
    >> on
    >>> each entry so that people can choose to reply to specific entries.
    >>> Might save a click and page load now and then.
    >>
    >> How would such a thing work if you weren't logged in? Anybody can
    >> read
    >> an RSS file, but you need to log in with your email address to post
    >> to
    >> the list.
    >
    > you would just do a check. So when you follow the link from the feed
    > to the site to reply (you could even include a 'reply' link in the
    > feed (in the description tag, after the text of the post). If one is
    > logged in, the reply box is at the bottom of the thread page. If not,
    > a 'login to reply' link.

    Yeah, I just remembered that Russell Beattie just started playing with
    this a few days ago:

    http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008482.html

    He seems like he's had to spend a little time tweaking HTML to get it
    to work in a few different newsreaders. I'll look into this.

    Here's a usability question: Let's say I post something, then you post
    something else, then, say, Curt comes along and reads the RSS item of
    my original post but not your reply. (Let's say he's working his way
    down the items in chronological order.) So he replies via the new shiny
    RSS form and then finds out his reply is redundant to what you posted.
    This wouldn't happen if you just click on the thing, because then you
    see a whole ten-text page. Maybe that's okay? Maybe there are ways to
    mitigate it?

    Hm.

    Francis Hwang
    Director of Technology
    Rhizome.org
    phone: 212-219-1288x202
    AIM: francisrhizome
    + + +
  • MTAA | Mon Jun 6th 2005 1:08 p.m.
    Hi Francis,

    Either I'm the most horribly vague and foggy author ever, or you
    misread me. It's probably the former.

    I didn't even consider having the form actually in the feed (tho that
    could be super cool). All I was suggesting is that you put the form at
    the bottom of the thread page on rhiz's site. Currently one needs to
    click the 'post a reply' button to leave a reply. You could have a
    default form at the bottom of the page for a user to just add to the
    thread. Saves a click once you get to the site, that's all :-)

    Otherwise, it's great! I loves my RSS.

    On Jun 6, 2005, at 2:47 PM, Francis Hwang wrote:

    > On Jun 6, 2005, at 11:20 AM, t.whid wrote:
    >
    >>>> One thing that might make it easier. You could maybe put a default
    >>>> 'post a message' box at the bottom of the threads. Then if you just
    >>>> want to join the thread you can. But keep the 'post a reply' button
    >>> on
    >>>> each entry so that people can choose to reply to specific entries.
    >>>> Might save a click and page load now and then.
    >>>
    >>> How would such a thing work if you weren't logged in? Anybody can
    >>> read
    >>> an RSS file, but you need to log in with your email address to post
    >>> to
    >>> the list.
    >>
    >> you would just do a check. So when you follow the link from the feed
    >> to the site to reply (you could even include a 'reply' link in the
    >> feed (in the description tag, after the text of the post). If one is
    >> logged in, the reply box is at the bottom of the thread page. If not,
    >> a 'login to reply' link.
    >
    > Yeah, I just remembered that Russell Beattie just started playing with
    > this a few days ago:
    >
    > http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008482.html
    >
    > He seems like he's had to spend a little time tweaking HTML to get it
    > to work in a few different newsreaders. I'll look into this.
    >
    > Here's a usability question: Let's say I post something, then you post
    > something else, then, say, Curt comes along and reads the RSS item of
    > my original post but not your reply. (Let's say he's working his way
    > down the items in chronological order.) So he replies via the new
    > shiny RSS form and then finds out his reply is redundant to what you
    > posted. This wouldn't happen if you just click on the thing, because
    > then you see a whole ten-text page. Maybe that's okay? Maybe there are
    > ways to mitigate it?
    >
    > Hm.
    >
    > Francis Hwang
    > Director of Technology
    > Rhizome.org
    > phone: 212-219-1288x202
    > AIM: francisrhizome
    > + + +
    >
    >
    >
    >

    ===
    <twhid>http://www.mteww.com</twhid>
    ===
Your Reply