Instagram Exhibit: Call for Videos
atelier, a Montreal francophone radio show on CIBL - Montreal’s francophone community radio - is calling for video artworks as part of an Instagram exhibit.
atelier’s mandate is to be a pertinent radio show for Montreal’s artistic community; created by cultural workers, it aims to define the notion of research in art. Their transdisciplinary team offers a diversity of voices exchanging on art, by exploring theoretical, historical, and critical perspectives. It is both a source of dialogue and experimental practice.
We are looking for artists that are not cis-men; candidates range from women both cis and trans to genderqueer and non-binary people who question their presence, subjectivity and voice in the digital sphere. The chosen motif is that of self-filmed performance which expresses, in a concise and
visual manner, the poetry that emerges from the expression of identity and empowerment via extimity. We borrow this term from the French psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan, which we define as intimate projections of the self onto public spaces.
We are particularly interested in artworks which explore the limits of the medium that is Instagram and web performance, rendering visible the interface of Instagram and/or the recording devices used. We are interested in the following themes, but are not limiting this call to the following:
● The experience of gendered and/or racialized identity in cyberspace
● The exploration of multiple identities under the cover of anonymity of
pseudonyms in an era of hyper-surveillance
● The influence of pornography in the construction of feminine identity
● The erasure of limits between online and offline spaces
These Instagram videos must be a maximum of 60 seconds. We accept single works and series. These can be mute or include quotes, dialogues, lectures of texts and/or poems. The texts must include a French version. We may be able to assist you with
translation, if necessary.
Please send a single PDF document by the 23rd of July to: firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in the title Expo Instagram. This PDF file must contain the following elements:
● A short biography (including your pronouns) (max. 250 words)
● A text on your practice (max. 500 words)
(This point is however optional.)
● A short text on the artworks, including the medium, duration and year (max. 100
● A WeTransfer link for the videos being submitted to the exhibit, maximum 5, or links to these videos on YouTube, Vimeo, etc. Please make sure these links are functional. The files must be in MP4 format, less than 1080px in width and a maximum of 60 seconds.
The file must be a maximum of 50MB.
Please include all of these elements in a single PDF document, titled with your full name
You can also send your curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages) and a link to your portfolio. We
will not accept artworks directly in our inbox. Please use WeTransfer (https://wetransfer.com/) to send us your videos.
For any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us, subject Expo Instagram Question: email@example.com
SHOW PAGE: http://www.radioatelier.ca/