Lecturer – Graphic Design
University of Massachusetts Lowell
The Department of Art and Design at the University of Massachusetts Lowell seeks a Lecturer of Graphic Design beginning in the Fall 2018. The ideal candidate will have an excellent teaching record and a body of work in design and art that exhibits a broad understanding of contemporary practice and theory. The candidate should be well versed in teaching core undergraduate graphic and web design courses such as design systems, typography and web typography, identity design, and the capstone course sequence. S/He will provide education through learning-centered instruction that will enable graduates to understand and place their work in the historical and theoretical context of design. The Art and Design Department emphasizes conceptual and aesthetic innovation while encouraging student-centered pedagogy. The candidate will be engaged in helping students conceptualize community-based initiatives as well as preparing them for a Graphic Design Professional Practice. Our graduates seek careers as graphic designers, web designers, web developers, UX/UI designers, interactive designers, and motion graphics designers. The successful candidate is expected to be a practitioner of contemporary design.
Lecturers fill a vital role within the Department and College, with an emphasis on teaching, student advising, student success initiatives, and other forms of service to the Department, College, and University. The teaching load is three courses per semester. The position is renewable based on excellence in teaching and service activities. Lecturer starting salaries are commensurate with years of teaching experience, with the range comparable to that of assistant professors within the Department. Following six years of service, lecturers are eligible to apply for promotion to the position of Senior Lecturer, with these salary ranges comparable to those of associate professors within the Department of Art and Design.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
• BFA in Graphic Design or related field
• Earned MFA degree in Graphic Design/ Graphic Communication and/or professional experience and/or demonstrated teaching competence for the subjects and levels they are teaching
• Portfolio that demonstrates success in creative and professional practice
• Demonstrated understanding of theoretical and critical aspects of graphic design
• Strong understanding of typography and its application in professional practice (traditional and screen-based)
• Broad understanding of graphic design, design history, design process and contemporary design issues
• High level of technical proficiency with current digital media and graphic design applications and programs including excellent knowledge of the Adobe suite
• Skills in HTML & CSS
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience with a diverse student body
• Solid understanding of photography, and illustration as those fields apply to art direction and graphic design
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close once an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please submit your cover letter, curriculum vitae and teaching philosophy to: http://explorejobs.uml.edu/lowell/en-us/job/493587/lecturer-graphic-design and upload your portfolio at: https://review.slideroom.com/#/program/38954/overview
The portfolio should consist of:
• A portfolio of applicant's work (20 images maximum) and a link to your web site if available
• 20 examples of work from five or more students labeled as such
• An online portfolio including both the applicant and students’ work is also acceptable. The students' work must have been produced in the applicant's classes or with the applicant's oversight
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is committed to increasing diversity in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek candidates who can contribute to that goal and encourage you to apply and to identify your strengths in this area.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.