The Electronic Media Area of the School of Art and Design of West Virginia University is accepting entries to the 2018 West Virginia Mountaineer Short Film Festival. We seek imaginative, well-crafted and compelling works in film, video and animation. Send us your work! www.mountaineershortfilmfest.org
Deadline for entries: March 19, 2018
Works will be considered for eight competitive categories:
• Documentary Short
• Narrative Short
• Thematic entry: "Borders"
• Student (College)
• Young filmmakers (under 18)
The borders Theme
We invite submissions to the special category this year of “borders.” It is in the concept of the border that our conflicting urgings of belonging, identity, security, rights and ownership emerge. In a world that is relentlessly fluid and evolving, borders emerge, both physical and mental, in an attempt to reassert old orders and to stave off change. Just as dreams of great walls spring forth to quell fears of cultural dissolution, so too do the less tangible boundaries of like-mindedness, belief, heritage and tribe. While these divides are not new, they do seem to be ascendant. We invite works that reflect on these issues as they manifest in contemporary culture and life.
Regular Entry Fee: $10 for up to 2 entries
Student Entry Fee: $5 for up to 2 entries
Under 18: Free, up to 2 entries
• Maximum running time of 10 minutes.
• Works must have been completed after 1/1/2016.
• Please include English subtitles with all non-English narrative entries.
• All submissions must include a completed entry form.
• Maximum of 2 entries per person. A separate entry form is required for each entry.
• Filmmakers and artists accepted to the festival permit the use of stills and/or clips from accepted works in promotional and public relations materials.