The College of Music at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Lead Creative Programmer.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to: Developing & implementing complex software systems & related physical computing solutions for the advancement of integrated audio-visual applications including algorithmic computer graphics, virtual reality authoring, multi-screen environments, interactive media performance instruments, data visualization & data sonification solutions. Duties will require knowledge of digital fabrication, web based media production, & computer systems integration & maintenance. Technical knowledge of creative coding applications should be augmented by excellent troubleshooting ability & strong verbal and written communication skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Interactive Audio-Visual systems software development, design, testing & implementation for the Hybrid Arts Lab (HAL) located in the College of Music;
* Hardware instrumentation & novel physical systems design, development & testing for HAL;
* Provide product specification, system design, integration and maintenance of computer based media workstations, specialized control peripherals & network systems for HAL;
* Technical consulting for interdisciplinary digital media research, arts production & digital learning initiatives for the College of Music and affiliated faculty comprising the initiative for advanced research in technology and the arts (iARTA) and CEMI;
* Participate in HAL & related iARTA research project documentation;
* Assist in determining potential funding sources, assess technical feasibility of proposed research & provide technical writing assistance for preparation of documents for funding initiatives, and;
* Participate in research presentations, special technical workshops & public demonstrations in service of HAL and/or the College of Music.
Skills Desired Include:
* Programming Expertise: 1.)MAX/MSP/Jitter + Gen; Open GL; C++; Java Script; Audio DSP; Comfortable with Mac & PC OS; HTML; 2.) Media Software Expertise: Unity VR Authoring; Various Digital Audio Workstations & Sequencers; Adobe Suite; Blender; Rhino (Grasshopper); 3.) Additional Software Expertise: Processing; Open Frameworks; Cinder; Drupal; 4.) Hardware Experience: Arduino; Micro-Controllers; Sensor Implementation & Interface Design; VR Headsets, Controllers, Haptic Devices; Interest in Smart Fabrics; Video Cameras; Flat Panel Monitor Grids & multi-projection environments; Basic Digital Fabrication Skills.
General knowledge of the fields of digital audio, real-time interactive computer music, generative art, artificial-life, real-time computer graphics, virtual reality, video game technologies, multi-projector environments, interactive & immersive sound diffusion, data-transcoding, data visualization & sonification, wireless devices, rapid prototyping, hardware fabrication, basic robotics, web based media, and hardware systems integration. Technical knowledge should be augmented by excellent troubleshooting ability & strong communication skills.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree with coursework in computing or information systems and three years of progressively responsible computer programming and analysis experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Intermediate knowledge of the methods and equipment used in electronic data processing, including system analysis and design, and computer programming techniques.
* Strong skill in writing programs for computer applications.
* Strong skill in analyzing and solving complex data processing and computing problems.
* Ability to coordinate a work team and train lower level programmers and analysts for specific tasks or assignments.
A Master's Degree with coursework in computing or information systems and three up to five years of progressively responsible computer programming and analysis experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge and experience with:
* Computer Networks
* Rigging of Video Projectors, Sensors, Lights
* Basic Photo & Video Shooting and Editing
* Live Sound
* Web Publishing
* Projector Mapping
*Video Game Design Production Methods
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and 3 references with their online application. In addition, applicants must provide web links to any research, creative projects and hardware or software designs that demonstrate their skill and areas of interest.
To apply, go to the UNT Job Site at: