IA Current Curator
Deadline: Monday May 10th 2017 (6pm)
InterAccess currently seeks a bold and engaged emerging curator to join the organization as its curatorial intern under the auspices of the IA Current Program which supports the professional development of emerging curators and artists interested in new media and electronic practices. The IA Current Curator will use their unique vision and critical perspective to research, develop, and execute the 16th annual IA Current Exhibition. This exhibition will be mounted in the main gallery for four weeks beginning in September 2017 and will feature the work of emerging artists. Reporting to the Programming Coordinator, the IA Current Curator can expect to work 5-7 hours per week between June and October 2017, with extended hours as required in the weeks leading up to the opening of the exhibition. The successful candidate will develop a holistic understanding of programming and operations within a new media focused artist-run centre; additional training opportunities will be tailored to their interests. The IA Current Curator will be paid an honorarium upon successful installation of the exhibition.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Programming Coordinator, establish a flexible schedule for in-gallery and offsite research between June and September 2017
- Develop a coherent and relevant exhibition theme
- From an open call for submissions, select a maximum of five works by emerging new media artists based in Canada
- Assist in drafting an exhibition budget, artist contracts, and other materials in accordance with InterAccess standards and practices
- Write a short curatorial statement for marketing purposes and an extended exhibition essay
- Lead a curator’s tour of the exhibition
- Coordinate and manage installation and strike with the support of technical staff at InterAccess
- Assist with other programming-related duties at InterAccess
- InterAccess welcomes applications from undergraduate and graduate students in a related field of study, recent graduates, and emerging professionals with fewer than four consecutive years of related professional experience
- The IA Current Curator must be available for key dates between August 22nd - September 6th 2017 and September 30th - October 3rd 2017.
- Cover letter
- Brief statement outlining your curatorial interests, philosophies, and/or methodologies (500 words maximum)
- Current CV
- One letter of reference
Only email submissions will be considered. Please send a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “IA Current Curator Application.” We thank all those who apply, however we will only contact those selected for an interview.
The InterAccess Current (IA Current) program supports the professional development of emerging curators and artists interested in new media and electronic practices. Each year, InterAccess selects an emerging curator, who works closely with IA staff to conceptualize and execute an exhibition of works by emerging artists. “Current” refers to the now, of course, but it is also an energetic charge that causes light, heat and all manner of electronic life; an apt metaphor for emergent creative practices within the ever-expanding field of new media.