The University of Maine School of Computing and Information Science invites applications for a full-time, academic-year, tenure-track Assistant Professor for the New Media Program, effective August 28, 2017. Candidates with teaching and research interests in creative programming are encouraged to apply to enhance and/or complement UMaine’s New-Media strengths in digital storytelling; video, photographic, and audio production; Web design and development; rapid prototyping; and user experience and interaction design. Candidates may either be programming language experts who focus on creative content or creative artists with strong programming credentials.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaching introductory programming classes as well as upper-level courses in server-side development for the New Media BA and Minor.
- Advising and mentoring undergraduate students in New Media.
- Collaborating with students and colleagues to develop creative applications.
- Service to the school, the college, the university, and the profession.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications:
- Terminal degree (earned doctorate or MFA) in a discipline closely related to New Media required by date of hire.
- A rich and deep understanding of the contemporary field of digital culture is required.
- A commitment to excellence in teaching and research is required.
- Demonstrated skills in contributing to the New-Media research agenda are required.
- Extensive experience in writing custom software for new media contexts, such as online, mobile, and physical environments is required.
- Familiarity with such topics as user interface design, user interaction, and new media art and design practices required.
The application includes a cover letter with a URL for documentation of the candidate’s creative programming, preferably including at least one example of custom source code; a curriculum vitae; copies of graduate academic transcripts (photocopies acceptable for initial screening); and statements of both research and teaching interests.
Visit our Website for more details: http://umainenewmedia.org/new-media-position
Review of applications will begin on February 15, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Questions can be addressed to NewMediaSearch@umit.maine.edu.
Representatives of the New Media program will also be available to answer questions about the position at the College Art Association (CAA) conference in New York from 15-18 February.