The Curator-in-Residence (Feb 15th, 2017 to Feb 15th, 2018) program provides an opportunity for emerging local curatorial talent to develop and expand the scope of their practice through a twelve months residency at Kunstraum. The CIR will be the head of programming and work in close collaboration with the directors. During their residency, the curator will have the opportunity to engage with a broad range of local and international artists building and expanding on Kunstraum’s and their network to create a series of five exhibitions in Kunstraums’s experimental gallery space.
The CIR program aims to facilitate exhibitions and events that activate the local community and to host international shows while encouraging artists and curators to challenge themselves and the viewers. The CIR will have 24/7 access to the exhibition space with a desktop office, wi-fi, heating, art insurance. The CIR will also receive guidance and support for to plan and manage art shows. The residence is for the term of 12 months, expected office hours will be 10 hrs weekly. The CIR will receive a share of all art sales and studio membership sales, as well as gain first-hand experience as head of the programming and administrator of the artist's community at Kunstraum. This is a curatorial workspace residency only, no additional funding, travel, lodging or supplies will be provided.
Kunstraum is a gallery, incubator and co-working space by the Navy Yard in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, created to catalyze a network that furthers the curator’s and artist’s visibility, research, and production opportunities. As an interdisciplinary team of artists, curators, and architects, we seek to promote local and international emerging art via a gallery and semi-private studios in three co-working lofts. This year as part of NADA New York, the project Video Shop won the Artfair Goers Award for best booth. Additionally, Kunstraum has recently participated in Untitled Artfair in Miami. Recent press coverage includes White Hot Magazine, Communication Arts, Creator’s Project, Huffington Post, Artnet News, Interview Magazine, Art F City, and Artnet News. As part of our active outreach program, we facilitate studio visits with renowned curators, critics, and gallerists from the New York art world.
Responsibilities of the CIR include:
• Head of programming: Curate your exhibition program and select curatorial proposals
• Work in close collaboration with the Kunstraum directors on exhibitions schedule, administration, and management of co-working space
• Produce a minimum of five exhibitions: Work on press releases, consignments, invitations, promotion, art installation, art handling and art sales.
• Facilitate viewings by appointment, tours, art sales, coordination of gallery events.
• Administration of co-working loft attached to gallery: Advertise, select members, manage space.
• General: Design newsletter for Kunstraum community and gallery, create open call list.
• Arrange studio visits for artists members and gallery shows.
• Cast and manage internships at Kunstraum.
• Maintenance of the gallery space and co-working loft.
The ideal candidate:
• BA/MA in Art History/ Curatorial Studios or comparable
• Experience as a curator/ assistant curator, inside a gallery
• Sales experience of art work/ other sales experience
• Management and administration experience
• Art world contacts, ex. artists, curators, critics, press and collectors
• Positive work ethics and the ability to maintain a cool head under pressure
• Excellent communication and management abilities
• Inter/national art world experience a plus
• Availability over 12 months with periods of vacation