I keep saying to myself: Sampling is the Appropriation of the 21st century.
So what are the differences? Some distinctions stand to be made.
I'm beginning to realize that the plaintiff in my case regards Molotov as
pure Appropriation; but I've been thinking about what I do as pure
Sampling off the Web – and that these two things describe our respective
cultures. (The fact that I go on to paint my sampled bits with my eye/hand
is probably just perverse). She hasn't yet made any distinctions between
the two, but I'm bent on doing so.
Here are a few thoughts that have crossed my mind since the beginning of
- refers specifically to an artistic practice of the 20th century
whereby other artworks (usually) are derived or copied wholesale with
specific conceptual artistic intentions;
- Appropriation usually functions in terms of "parody" or "comment" upon
the original artwork;
- Appropriation always draws attention to the fact or act of the
appropriation, rather than to try to hide the fact; the act of
appropriating is foregrounded in the resulting artwork.
- Therefore, Appropriated artworks are always clearly and closely wedded
to the original, rather than divorced from it; the idea is NOT to make
something entirely new.
- originally meant the taking–stealing–of short segments of
pre-recorded music to be used and remixed in/as a new work;
- the term "Sampling" is increasingly used to denote the use of
pre-existing anything: film, photographs, logos, ads, texts, etc.,
- One difference, therefore, is that Sampling makes use of not just
pre-existing artworks, as does most of Appropriation, but of any or all
material existing in the larger culture. Anything can be sampled. The
increased use of Sampling is certainly a result of the ubiquity of the Web
and digital copying, and the increasing cheapness and ease and ubiquity
of the technology we use to access our "larger culture";
- Sampling is always about taking found bits and pieces in order to make
something entirely new. Remixes disregard and discard the context,
the intended meaning/s and artistic import of the original work being
sampled. Sampling is about creating something new, and not about
commenting on an original.
That's all I've got for now. Clearly the Joywar pieces are both
Appropriations and Sampled Remixes, in varying degrees.
Any thoughts/comments/disagreements ?