In this two-day workshop we will explore MaxMSP Jitter’s OpenGL framework as a
tool for 3D video production. We will also use Blender (a free and open source 3D
modeling software) to sculpt our own object models and work with them further in
Jitter. Participants will leave equipped with an understanding of video manipulation
using OpenGL and a trove of tools and re-usable code to create their own Navigable
3D Environments or Custom Video Software. Interested members will also have
the option of “printing” a model of their own creation (using the Pioneer Works
Makerbot) for a small additional materials fee.
This workshop will be geared towards beginners but will dive right into 3D
concepts in Jitter, therefore even seasoned but patient Max users may benefit from
Using a series of pre-made examples and re-usable code we will discuss the
following practices in MaxMSP Jitter:
• Creating Real-Life Spatial Attributes for 3D Environments – Physics/Light/Texture/Material
• Importing Our Own Pre-Existing Media to the World Space - Sound/Video/
• Importing Object Models from Popular 3D Animation Software to the World
Space - Blender/Maya/Autocad
• Manipulating Models and Media in Real-time - Spin/Move/Warp/Destroy
• Methods of 3D Modeling in Blender - Sculpt/Mold/Export (OBJ/DAE)
• Preparing 3D Models for 3D Printing and 3D printing using the Makerbot
We will also be touching on some more traditional methods in video such as mixing
techniques and applying visual effects.
Participants should bring their own Mac laptops (OSX Snow Leopard or later).
Interested Windows users should get in touch before signing up. Depending on what
Mac generation you are using, for modeling purposes, it may be necessary to obtain
a mouse with a scroll wheel.
A free 30-day trial of Max/MSP Jitter is available here http://cycling74.com/
downloads/ – A full version of Blender is available here for free (http://blender.org).