Margins of Time presents works by creators who have used "Yiannis Ritsosʼ" life and poetry as a starting point for their personal homage to the great poet. The exhibition will also include a selection of original stones painted by Ritsos from the collection of Elli and Panicos Peonides. This project also includes:
Remembering Ritsos: talks by personal friends of Yiannis Ritsos, Hans Hendrikx (NL,GR) and Elli Peonidou (CY) and a homage to Ritsos by Louis Perentos (CY)
Exhibition of 66 artworks including:
- Photographs by Antigoni Solomonidou Droussiotou (CY), endorsed personally by Ritsos in 1979
- Photomontage work by Peter Lyssiotis (AU, CY)
- Poetry videos of Elli Peonidou (CY) and Louis Perentos (CY)
- Silkscreen prints by Dimitri Perdikides (GR)
- Stones painted by Yiannis Ritsos (GR)
- Archival photographs of Ritsos' visit to Cyprus in 1979
Presentation by George Alexander (AU) and Peter Lyssiotis (AU, CY) on the nature of their collaboration for their book, _The Dead Travel Fast_ which will be launched by Nicholas Defteras.
The title of this event is taken from a collection of poems by Yiannis Ritsos, Notes on the Margins of Time written between 1938-1941.
Margins of Time is co-organised by NeMe and the Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture and is supported by the Municipality of Limassol and Cyprus University of Technology
Venue: Evagoras and Kathleen Lanitis Foundation, Limassol, Cyprus
Opening and presentations: 8pm, 6 November 2009.
Exhibition: 6-16 November 2009.
Opening Times: Monday-Saturday, 9am-1pm and 5pm-8.30pm