Position Type: Full-time 3 year contract (renewable), 35 hours/week, occasional weekends and evenings
Date of Posting: July 16, 2014
Application Deadline: September 2, 2014
Years Experience: 3+ years in a curatorial position
The Western Front Society seeks an outstanding, highly motivated arts professional to step into the role of Media Arts Curator.
The Western Front was founded in 1973 by a small group of interdisciplinary artists, and has developed into an exemplary multi-disciplinary environment for experimental art practice and research. With a staff of ten, plus interns and volunteers, the Society collectively produces over fifty events a year. The Media Arts Program has a mandate to support production, research, experimentation and critical discourse by Canadian artists and arts professionals in media arts practices. In keeping with the Western Front's historical emphasis on creative exchange and interdisciplinary practice, this program supports the creation and dissemination of new work in a range of mediums including, but not limited to, video, Internet art and sound art.
The Media Arts Curator reports directly to the Executive Director and assumes the leadership and responsibility for:
• Developing and communicating a dynamic vision for the Media Arts Program
• Curating artist production residencies
• Curating screenings and public presentations of work generated through both the residency program and the Western Front Media Archive
• Writing grants and pursuing opportunities for additional funding and support
• Facilitating access to the Western Front’s archival holdings
• Assuming responsibility for the media production studio/space
• Extensive knowledge of Media Art practices, both historical and contemporary
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of broader art historical and contemporary art context
• Knowledge and understanding of moving image archive practices
• A clear understanding of the philosophy and history of the Canadian artist-run centre movement
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Proven financial management experience
• Ability to effectively delegate and supervise staff, volunteers, interns and external contractors
• Knowledge of the principle funding agencies and prior grant writing experience
• Knowledge of managing publications and print projects
• Knowledge of audio/video systems, new media and new technologies
A competitive benefits package is available after the three months probation period is complete. After eight months of employment, four weeks paid vacation may be taken during the period when programs are recessed. An additional ten days paid holiday time may be taken during the December/January holiday period.
How to Apply:
The Western Front Society is committed to the principles of Employment Equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal persons, members of a visible minority group or persons with a disability.
Applications containing a cover letter, curriculum vitae and three references must be received by 5:00 p.m. on September 2, 2014.
Please send applications by email only:
Media Arts Curator Hiring Committee
We apologize that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.