THE 11TH A.I.R. GALLERY BIENNIAL
A Juried Exhibition Open to All Women Artists
Entry Deadline: May 30, 2014
APPLY EARLY AND SAVE!!!
After April 30th, the submission fee will rise from $35 to $40.
Juror: Nancy Princenthal: Critic, former Senior Editor of Art in America, NYC.
Making and Taking: “Pictures” Reconsidered
A mutual interest linking painting and photography is as old as cameras. Lately, under the digital regime, it has taken a number of new turns. It may be that women have a particular stake in this relationship between the handmade and the mechanically or electronically produced, as between the provinces of subjective and commercial expression. To test that proposition, we are calling for submissions by artists who are investigating the intersection of hand produced and photographic pictures.
Nancy Princenthal is a New York-based critic and former Senior Editor of Art in America, for which she continues to write regularly; other publications to which she has contributed include Artforum, Parkett, the Village Voice, and the New York Times. Her monograph on Hannah Wilke was published by Prestel in 2010; she has also written essays for monographs on Michelle Stuart, Shirin Neshat, Doris Salcedo, Robert Mangold and Alfredo Jaar, among others. She is a co-author of two recent books on leading women artists, including The Reckoning: Women Artists of the New Millennium (Prestel, fall 2013). At present Princenthal is writing a book about Agnes Martin. She has taught at the Center for Curatorial Studies, Bard College; Princeton University; Yale University, RISD, Montclair State University and she is currently on the faculty of the School of Visual Arts.
- All women artists, including self-identified women, may submit original works of art.
- Painting in any medium, photography, prints, drawing, works on paper, new media, sculpture, mixed media, traditional or non-traditional materials are welcome. **
- There is no size limit on artwork.
**Please note that installations will only be accepted if they have been completed. NO PROPOSALS for installations will be accepted.**
- $35.00 entry fee for 3 images OR 1 video submission. (Apply early and save! After April 30, 2014 the fee to submit will be $40.)
- Additional Images are $5.00 each. (Up to three extra images allowed - six-image limit).
- You must fill in all fields and upload all images in order for your application to be complete.
- Incomplete applications will not be saved. You will know your application is complete when you receive an email confirmation. Please check your spam/junk box if you do not receive an email within 2 days.
- APPLICATIONS WILL BE VIEWED SEPTEMBER 2014. Please DO NOT call the gallery for information about your application status.
**PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE DIGITAL IMAGE SPECIFICATIONS BELOW, YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT GO THROUGH
- 72dpi .JPEG files only.
- File name must be the artist’s first initial and last name, followed by the number of the image on the entry form (ie:Pbrown-1.jpeg, Pbrown-2.jpeg, etc).
- Image may not exceed 1000 pixels in any dimension.
- Image may not exceed 300k in memory.
- Image must be oriented properly (ie: top of image is up).
FOR VIDEO SUBMISSIONS ONLY:
- We will ONLY accept video submissions as a URL on YouTube, Vimeo, or your artist website.
- Submit your URL in the field provided in the online application.
- The video you upload may contain one piece or excerpts of up to 3 pieces.
- We will only watch the first 3 minutes of the video linked to your URL. Please take this into consideration.
- Please make sure that you enter your URL correctly.
- Please make sure that no password is required to view your video.
December 4, 2014 - January 3, 2015.
Thursday, December 4th, 6pm to 9pm.
Delivery of Work:
All work accepted for the exhibition MUST arrive at the gallery framed and/or ready to hang/install.
Work may be shipped via FedEx or UPS ONLY.
Return postage MUST BE provided for unsold work. Work may also be hand delivered during gallery hours.