Call for Video Works – Forgetting in the Digital Age
About the Festival:
This will be the fourth year of Print Screen, Israel's International Digital Culture Festival. Just as the "PrintScreen" function captures a screenshot of a computer, so too does the festival capture a contemporary screenshot of life in the epoch of new media.
The festival draws together artists, technologists and digital culture researchers for four days of programming at the Holon Cinematheque in Holon, Israel. Print Screen includes a wide variety of films, contextual programming, interactive presentations, master classes with international artists, workshops, lectures and panel discussions.
In 2013, more than 2,000 participants took part of the screenings and activities. Notable guests included Evan Roth (US), Johannes Grenzfurthner (AU) and Yossi Vardi (IL). More at http://www.printscreenfestival.com.
About the video program:
The theme for 2014’s Print Screen festival is "Forgetting": an examination of how memories are formed, stored, and sometimes lost in the age of new media. Questions explored will include: how does the network affect the experience of memory? Do we have the ability to forget – and the right to be forgotten – in a world of unlimited memory? In what ways can one escape virtual recording? What is the place of the one-time event – that is, the unique, singular occurrence – in a world where every aspect is documented in the database? And, how is loss experienced in a networked era? Does the network allow for eternal life?
This is the first year that Print Screen will explore this theme through a curated program of video works. Works that touch on the following themes will be especially considered:
• Memory, recording, and recollection in the digital world
• Forgetting, loss and amnesia
• Invisibility to the database (including the ability to disappear)
• Death in the age of new media
• The promise of eternal, boundless recollection
• Unique, one-time happenings in the face of digital documentation
Please submit works that are 10 minutes or under. Works will be selected according to their merit, complexity and depth of the concept.
To submit work:
Send an email to email@example.com with the following:
• Name + nationality of artist(s)
• Artists website, if applicable
• Title of work, year, duration. Works must be 10 minutes or under.
• Link to view the work online (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.). Links to download works will not be accepted. If the work is password-protected, please submit the password as well.
• A brief statement on how the work connects to the theme of this year’s Print Screen Festival
Deadline: March 14, 2014
Selection Notification: Early April, 2104
Exhibition: April 30 - May 3, 2014
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or liat[at]digikits[dot]ch.