The Department of Design invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor of Interactive Design beginning September 2013. The Department of Design and the College of Fine and Performing Arts strive to further Western’s identity as an institution that welcomes and embraces diversity, and encourage applications from diverse candidates.
• Teach lower and upper level interactive design courses.
• Student advisement.
• Collaborative curriculum development and participation in program activities.
• Maintain a creative, research and/or professional practice agenda.
• Participation in committee work, departmental and university governance activities.
• MFA or equivalent terminal degree from an accredited college or university.
• Evidence of expertise in interactive design through professional experience or achievement in interactive design through peer review, as demonstrated through application materials.
• Expertise with the current Adobe Creative Suite and web development technologies and software such as HTML and CSS.
• Degree emphasis in Interactive or Graphic Design.
• Teaching experience.
• Knowledge of issues of professional practice.
• Appreciation for working with diverse students, faculty and staff.
Candidates must submit a cover letter addressing qualifications, current vita, statement of design teaching philosophy, course syllabi (if available), 20 samples of student work (if available), 20 samples of personal/ professional work, and contact information for five references. You must upload all the requested materials using the EASE application link provided. Official transcripts documenting degrees will be required prior to a contract being offered. Review of applications will begin January 7, 2013, and continue until position is filled.
Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity & Employment Diversity, Equal Opportunity Office, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org.
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3774 or 711 (Washington Relay).
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires.
Note: Because the Department of Design did not become official until October 2012, the position is listed under the Department of Art.
Recruitment # 120905