KEYHOLDER RESIDENCY PROGRAM
The Lower East Side Printshop, NY offers emerging artists with FREE year-long studio residencies to develop new work and foster their artistic careers. The application deadline is Saturday, September 1, 2012 for residencies that begin on October 1, 2012. Printmaking facilities are available for intaglio, relief, monoprint, waterbased silkscreen, digital processes, and other techniques that employ the tools at hand.
Keyholders work independently in the Printshop’s shared Artists’ Studio and have access to a vibrant community of peers. Artists from all disciplines are eligible to apply; printmaking skills are not required, but some familiarity with the medium is recommended. Basic instruction in printmaking and some Master Printer assistance is included in the program.
Participation is limited and competitive. Applications are evaluated by a panelist of seasoned artists, curators, critics, and art professionals based on the quality of submitted artwork. Artists currently without a studio space are encouraged to apply.
Keyholder Residency includes:
• 24-hour studio access
• $1,000 stipend
• storage space
• basic supplies (newsprint, blotters, solvents, cleaners)
• one free class in printmaking and consultations with Master Printers
• 20% discount on all Printshop classes
• free career development workshops
• free digital documentation of selected works produced during the residency
• inclusion in the Printshop's permanent collection
• opportunities to show new work in exhibitions presented by the Printshop
"Even beyond the technical learning and the facilities, having the support of the staff, the monthly emails, the workshops, salons, being a part of the Printshop community in general has had such a positive effect on my studio practice. That support has helped me stay more motivated, more productive, more engaged, and has helped me grow as an artist." Naomi Reis, Keyholder Resident, October 2011 - September 2012
• Only legal US residents may apply (i.e., Social Security cardholders)
• Students enrolled in any kind of degree program at the time of the residency are not eligible
• Keyholder Residencies are limited to emerging artists only. The Printshop defines emerging artists as under-recognized and under-represented artists in early stages in their careers
DEADLINE: September 1, 2012
Apply online: http://printshop.org/web/Create/KeyholderResidences/application.html
Please go to http://printshop.org/web/Create/KeyholderResidences/index.html
for more information, or email Christine Walia, Programs Director at Christine@printshop.org