The Parsons Institute for Information Mapping, of The New School is creating best practices and standards for big data visualization and discovery tools. This project will identify cutting-edge visualization techniques and taxonomies that will guide future development in this area as part of a government-funded project. The Big Data Project Manager will be responsible for supporting the activities of our current team of information designers, software engineers, researchers and web application developers.
This is a project based position with an anticipated contract time of two years.
The Big Data Project Manager will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day iterative development of research and guidance designed to support the rapid flow of information from big datasets. This position will involve researching and establishing new best-practices and metrics for big data, advising and reviewing current prototype designs for compliance with those standards and evaluating the usability of systems. The Big Data Project Manager should be capable of envisioning the future potential of prototype designs while assisting teams to avoid logistical and workflow problems that may arise. The Big Data Project Manager will serve as the primary SME in big data domain and will be responsible for working with and supporting a number of diverse teams across the country.
Applicants who possess previous experience working with and visualizing extremely large datasets are encouraged to apply.
• Participate in multiple levels of design and technology transfer processes for ongoing big data projects in a production and research environment.
• Conduct research on big data practices; document existing solutions and design, document goals and objectives of other program participants. Establish or enhance best-practices where necessary.
• Serve as the primary project / technical POC for the initiative. Conduct stakeholder feedback gathering sessions and evaluations for design assets.
• Support and maintain the best practices design book and digital assets repository in an open source environment.
• Analyze a specific area of research (big data) and apply direct working knowledge to problem solving and help create solutions for design strategies and eventual software development.
• Design, document and derive specifications for prototypes in the specified areas of research.
• Assist towards the development, specification, design, implementation and testing of prototypes to be used in existing facilities. Knowledge RDBMS, MPP databases, SQL, Hadoop, Pregel / Dremel and / or R or similar tools / technologies would be helpful. Sampling strategies and strong design knowledge is also helpful, as is a background in statistics and mathematics.
• Provide technical consulting and collaborate with information designers in order to integrate big data best practices into technical designs.
• Contribute in systems architecture and design.
Applicants should have a degree (graduate degree preferred) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Design, or related area, plus experience in a big data environment, comparable technical skills or comparable combination of education and experience.
Applicants who have diverse backgrounds in one or more of these areas (or similar) encouraged to apply:
• Proven ability to assess a broad spectrum of technical and resource needs and demands and establish priorities. Delegate and manage multiple sub-projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrated knowledge of database management systems and data storage architectures within the industry or government or other large systems encouraged.
• Effectively communicate scientific results by preparing thorough and articulate documentation of efforts and participate in or lead formal presentations. Familiarity with computer terminology and the ability to read and understand complex scientific articles such as journals and computer documentation.
• Proven ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple project activities effectively, deal with changing priorities, and to meet deadlines in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment.
• Strong Interpersonal skills in working with a variety of individuals and technical professionals in a research setting.
• Strong analytic, inductive, and deductive reasoning skills.
• Ability to think and work in an organized and effective manner in a research environment that has rapidly shifting demands and priorities.
• Excellent oral, written, and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly with a diverse group consisting of academics and staff.
Applicants must apply through The New School Careers website: https://careers.newschool.edu/postings/8647