Tyneside Cinema is excited to announce that we are now accepting applications for the Pixel Palace Artist in Residence programme 2012 in collaboration with The Factory.
The Factory is an informal drop in space for young people from 14 to 19 years old to make and learn about digital art, film and technology in their own time. The group meet every Monday from 5pm till 7pm at the Tyneside Cinema. With professional equipment and experts on hand, The Factory is a peer-led environment with the opportunity to learn about everything from film and animation to motion graphics and anything in between.
The residency offer is to artists of international calibre working in new technologies and moving image with a focus on participatory practice that compliments and informs the current Pixel Palace programme. The residency will be an active period of time for an artist to develop exploratory / inquiry based work in collaboration with The Factory group. It is integral that skills and knowledge between the artist and the young people are shared through the atelier process, accommodating varying stages of development and interests within the group.
In addition, the artist will also have access to a residency space which will be shared with other artists and is based in the social environment of the cinema, creating opportunities to produce live events and develop formal and informal discussions. Support is provided to develop new work via a well resourced studio, editing suite and access to high end AV equipment. Opportunities will be available to engage with the working cinema and its surroundings.
About Tyneside Cinema
Tyneside Cinema’s mission is to bring as many people as possible together in our venue to experience, enjoy and engage with the past, present and future of cinema.
About Pixel Palace
The Pixel Palace programme extends the cinema’s mission by working with new media artists and curators working in digital arts to not only reflect upon cinema’s past, but to engage new audiences in its expanded present and pervasive future.
Pixel Palace is delighted to be supported by Arts Council England through the National Portfolio funding programme.
The selected artist is offered:
- Studio space for 2 months at the Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle
- A development fee of £2800
- Travel expenses (one return journey from place of origin to Newcastle and back)
- 2 months accommodation
- Materials/production costs (negotiable)
- Access to the Tyneside cinemas resources including Sony V1s, an editing suite including Avid and Final Cut as well as a suite of standard AV software.
Start date: Monday 2 July 2012
End date: Friday 31 August 2012
Where: Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
How to apply:
- A brief (200 words maximum) description of your proposed work in collaboration with The Factory
- A link to 5 online examples of work in form of images, audio and/or video format demonstrating participatory practice and evidence of working with young people.
Please add the reference ‘AIRFactory’ to your application documents
Selection is based on the following criteria:
- The quality of the artist’s work
- Evidence of past engagement with artists at mixed stages of development
- The artistic merit of the proposed work
- The benefit to be gained by the artist
- The benefit to be gained by Pixel Palace
- Evidence of the ability to work independently
Submission deadline: Monday 7th May 2012, 5pm
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about the Factory here: http://www.thepixelpalace.org/the-factory