International Invitation Program for Animation Artists
Animation Artist in Residence Tokyo 2014 Application Guide
1. Aims of the project
This project, organized by the Agency for Cultural Affairs (Government of Japan), is an artist in residence program which aims to provide three outstanding young animation artists from around the world with an opportunity to come to Tokyo and create new works while directly interacting with Japanese animation culture. In doing so, we aim to promote both the creation of excellent works of animation and a better understanding of Japanese culture.
2. Target field: Animation production
3. Number of applicants accepted: 3
4. Duration of the program: 70 days between January 7th and March 17th 2014
5. Support provided
1) Travel expenses
2) Living allowance
3) Travel insurance
4) Rental accommodation (including workspace)
5) Location: Tokyo
6) Expert assistance
7) Opportunity to present finished work
8) Opportunities to interact with Japanese creators
6. Program summary
1) Education/training: participants will give reports on the progress of their work being created as part of the program and will receive guidance from accomplished Japanese animators/experts on a regular basis.
2) Visits/exchange events: participants will visit animation studios and participate in exchange events with artists and students enrolled in art programs at educational institutions.
3) Creation of a new work: participants will begin a new work while in Japan and present the finished work or one part of a work in progress at the end of their stay.
7. Conditions of participation
1) Reside outside of Japan and be a citizen of a country other than Japan.
2) Have had one of their animated works screened at an international film festival, exhibition or similar event.
3) Be between the ages of 20 and 35 on September 9th 2013.
Be able to speak either English or Japanese at least well enough to communicate in everyday situations.
4) Be in good health.
5) Have access to the equipment necessary to participate in a remote interview (i.e. a computer capable of connecting to the internet and using Skype).
Application forms and all required documents/materials must be received by this office by September 9th, 2013.
Please see our website for more information on application procedure and notice of terms of application.