OPEN CALL: HomeBase BUILD V Artist-in-Residency (Berlin)
● HB BUILD V, Spring- Summer ’13 Artist-in-Residency (Berlin)
● duration: 15th of April 2013 – 14th July 2013
● HB Festival 5/6/7 July, 2013
● Deadline for application: Sunday 24th of February 2013
● Date of Notification: Monday 4th of March 2013
Interested to be involved? Send a short proposal or ask for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
HB Build V will take place in collaboration with the Month of Performance Art - Berlin, and will focus on the notion of home through social sculpture, relational art, performance art, urban interventions and installation.
Sixteen professional artists, social entrepreneurs, architects, performers, writers and other creative thinkers will be working during three months at the HomeBase LAB, Berlin on individual art projects in their live-in studios as well as collaborating on artistic explorations in public spaces in the direct neighborhood. They will engage in a creative communal living, educational and cultural program while having a ‘hands on’ collaboration in building different aspects of the HomeBase LAB. The objective is to continue to develop the HB LAB into an innovative cultural center, dedicated to the exploration of Home and experimenting in meaningful urban living.
Through the HomeBase BUILD V Artist-in-Residence program, the artists will:
● Create new site-specific work within a communal setting.
● Participate in the weekly educational program, LabLern, and evening Salons that focus on questions of identity, meaningful urban living and the role of contemporary art in society.
● Participate and host Curated Dinners and Public Salons linked with other cultural organizations.
● Participate in the Week of Public Action in Pankow with an intensive programming of daily workshops, guestspeakers and guest artists.
● Contribute to communal living, developing a sustainable infrastructure as the kernel of our community.
● Gain professional exposure in the Berlin and the international art world through visits by Berlin-based curators and via the HomeBase network.
What will I BUILD Over the course of the residency you will work on your own artistic practice. The emphasis is on developing an individual exploration around the notion of home, while searching for possibilities of outreach in the larger neighborhood and HB and personal network through community-based art. In addition each artist will take on a Community Project and will be involved in collaborating with the HB team to experience communal life and further develop the HB LAB. Areas of interest for Community Projects include: garden, neighborhood relations, catalogue, blog, documentation, research, environment and recycling. Each artist will devote a minimum of 3 weekly hours to this project ending with a presentation of their contribution at the final event.
More details about HomeBase BUILD V Artists-in-Residence
In the program of HomeBase BUILD V each artist participates as: a learner, a creator and a teacher. The HomeBase BUILD group generates content and to the majority is self-directed, within a setting that HomeBase has established.
The organic process of exploration will unfold within the following given structural form:
● Individual art work: the majority of the time, besides the two scheduled weekly group meetings (LABLern, Salon), will be dedicated to progressive art practice in the individual studios – ongoing
● Community project: individual work for the community to color the HB LAB – 3 hours a week Weekly group meetings
● LABLern: co-learning, facilitated by the HomeBase team, group and guest speakers – 3 hours a week
● HB Salon: a cultural platform which will include cultural conversations, performances, movie screenings, readings and more – followed by a Curated group Dinner – 3 hours a week Events
● Several Public events and cultural salons
● Final Exhibition/ HB FESTIVAL on July 5/6/7. The Open House event is a public viewing and presentation of the individual projects Several guest speakers and artists will be invited to contribute to the process of HB BUILD, enriching the conversation, providing both a local and global cultural perception.HB BUILD artists will be promoted and exposed through the HomeBase network, an existing network ofthousands of international art lovers.
HomeBase BUILD Fee & Schedule
HomeBase BUILD V Schedule Duration: 15th of April – 14th of July 2013 (HB BUILD V program includes only 90 days, please notice that this information is important for visa requirements depending on the countries.) Fee: The residency fee of 1300 Euro, to be paid by the artists to HomeBase Project in Berlin, includes the following:
● a live-in studio with access to the shared living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, garden, office
● educational program and all the other program details described above
● special edition of the HomeBase catalogue
● Final exhibition in HB Festival
● exposure and promotion via HomeBase network
OPEN CALL off-site artists We are also accepting up to five artists which will be part of the program yet will not have a studio on site. These artists will participate in the full program, have access / use of communal / co-working space and will be promoted as HBB VI Artist-in-Residence. The fee is 600 Euros. Food, art materials and other personal expenses are not included. Visa and insurance is not arranged by HomeBase.
How to Apply? Please fill out the form below, and send it to us via email – email@example.com – along with 10 images of your recent work, an artist statement and your CV. Deadline for application: Sunday 24th of February 2013. Interviews will take place on 26/27/28 of February 2013 via Skype Date of Notification: Monday 4th of March 2013.