Tyneside Cinema is excited to announce that we are now accepting applications for the Pixel Palace Artist in Residence programme 2012
The residency offer is to artists of international calibre working in new technologies and moving image. Support is provided to develop new work via a well resourced studio, editing suite and access to high end AV equipment. Opportunities will be available to engage with the working cinema and its surroundings. The selected artist will also exchange skills and knowledge with artists and young people (including Tyneside Cinema’s Factory group) with varying stages of development through participation in the atelier process.
The residency will be an active period of time for an artist to develop exploratory/inquiry based work that compliments and informs the current Pixel Palace programme. The residency space will be shared with other artists and is based in the social environment of the cinema, creating opportunities to produce live events and develop formal and informal discussions.
About Tyneside Cinema
Tyneside Cinema’s mission is to bring as many people as possible together in our venue to experience, enjoy and engage with the past, present and future of cinema.
About Pixel Palace
The Pixel Palace programme extends the cinema’s mission by working with new media artists and curators working in digital arts to not only reflect upon cinema’s past, but to engage new audiences in its expanded present and pervasive future.
Pixel Palace is delighted to be supported by Arts Council England through the National Portfolio funding programme.
The selected artist is offered:
- Studio space for 2 months at the Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle
- A development fee of £2800
- Travel expenses (one return journey from place of origin to Newcastle and back
- 2 months accommodation
- Material/production costs (negotiable)
- Access to the Tyneside cinemas resources including Sony V1s, an editing suite including Avid and Final Cut as well as a suite of standard AV software.
Start date: Monday 2 July 2012
End date: Friday 31 August 2012
Where: Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
How to apply:
- A brief (200 words maximum) description of your proposed work
- A link to 5 online examples of work in form of images, audio and/or video format
Please add the reference ‘AIR2012’ to your application documents
Selection is based on the following criteria:
- The quality of the artist’s work
- Evidence of past engagement with artists at mixed stages of development
- The artistic merit of the proposed work
- The benefit to be gained by the artist
- The benefit to be gained by Pixel Palace
- Evidence of the ability to work independently
Submission deadline: Monday 7th May 2012, 5pm
Send to: email@example.com
10 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6QG
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland