CALL FOR ENTRIES
Searching for God
February 15th through March 18th, 2010
Reception: February 22nd, 4-6pm
The Ohio State University at Marion Wayne and Geraldine Kuhn Fine Arts Gallery is pleased to announce an open call for entries in all media for its curated exhibition entitled Searching for God.
Searching for God is an exhibition focusing on the visual appearance of God, the manifestations or divine actions of God, and individual explorations or processes of searching for God.
The exhibition will showcase visual and/or documentary material describing successful or unsuccessful searches for God, through forms such as prayer, meditation, a journey or pilgrimage, religious study, fasting, scientific exploration, etc.
Works submitted for consideration in this exhibition should address the following: What is the visage of God or how does God reveal him/herself (with the remission of a fatal disease, in the defeat of a sports team, in an oil stain under the freeway)? How do we search for God? What do we find? And what do these findings reveal?
This exhibition is open to traditional and non-traditional systems of belief. We are further interested in those beliefs that challenge the notion of God and religion, as revealed through individual experience.
Application Deadline: Received by January 14th, 2010. Notification of acceptance: January 25th.
All forms of work will be considered, including audio and video works; two- and three-dimensional works; performances; and installations. Work should be submitted on a non-returnable CD-ROM and include the following:
1. 10-12 image slideshow on disc media (CD/DVD) in PowerPoint format only (.ppt, not .ppx) Each PowerPoint slide is to be labeled with the following: number, name of artist, title of work, medium, date of work, and dimensions.
2. In addition to the PowerPoint presentation, the artist must include .jpg files that are 1MB or larger in size, of each image submitted.
3. Video artists can submit a selection of no more than 3 videos. Videos must be submitted on DVD or CD as Quicktime (.mov) files with at least 740x480 resolution for widescreen or 640x480 for fullscreen. Videos should not exceed a playing time of 10 minutes per video.
4. A brief artist statement explaining how your artwork relates to the concept of the show, 500 words maximum, as well as a one-page CV or artist bio.
5. An image/video list including number, title, medium, date of work, and dimensions, as well as any specific notes on how the piece should be displayed.
The Kuhn Gallery has funding available to assist artists with the cost of shipping artwork to and from the gallery, and will be shipped FedEx. Artwork needs to arrive at the gallery by February 10th.
Send application materials to:
Searching for God
Kuhn Fine Art Gallery
Attn: Sarah Weinstock
1465 Mount Vernon Ave.
Marion, OH 43302
Applications must be received by January 14th, 2010.
Please contact Sarah Weinstock with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Kuhn Fine Art Gallery is a premier arts venue in central Ohio exhibiting regional, national and international artists including Whitney Museum Grant recipients and Guggenheim Fellowship winners.