How to Apply
Northern Arizona University is unable to receive your application materials on line at this time. Please follow the instructions below:
* Send letter of application; professional vitae; one-page teaching statement; a statement of how you will consider (and/or how you have handled) diversity issues in teaching-related activities, scholarship and service; and a list of five references with names, addresses, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers. Examples of scholarly/creative activity, transcripts, and course syllabi may be asked for at a later date. Send all materials to VC Search Committee Chair, School of Communication, P.O. Box 5619, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5619.
* This is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position.
* The proposed workload includes three courses per semester; advising and mentoring; research and/or scholarly activity; and service to the school, university and discipline.
* MFA or MA degree in Graphic Design or Visual Communication or closely related field by August 2006 is required. Substantial professional experience, proficiency in digital design software, experience in print design, and awareness of contemporary visual communications (graphic design, typography and advertising practices and issues) are required. Ability to teach all undergraduate levels of graphic design and typography is required. Must have a commitment to working effectively in a diverse university community.
* The successful candidate will demonstrate potential in teaching college/university courses in layout and design for a variety of media and display knowledge of graphic design concepts, success in/or potential for sustained scholarly and/or creative activity and participation in professional organizations related to the field.
* One to two years of college teaching is preferred. Knowledge of web design, information graphics, multimedia and print production is desirable. Experience with the Macintosh OS is preferred. The ability to teach in alternative learning environments, i.e., Web and interactive television, and demonstrated ability to teach in related communication disciplines within the School of Communication add strength to candidacy. Interest in developing outreach initiatives linking the professional field and the students is also desirable.
* The School of Communication is located in a newly renovated 14.5 million dollar state-of-the-art facility that includes 4 computer labs, photo darkrooms, a student media complex, editing bays, television broadcast studios and modern electronic classrooms and seminar rooms.
* Northern Arizona University has a student population of about 18,000 at its main campus in Flagstaff and at 30 sites across the state. Committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment, NAU has earned a solid reputation as a university with all the features of a large institution but with a personal touch. NAU carefully balances teaching, scholarship and service with a faculty and staff dedicated to each student's success.
* While our emphasis is undergraduate education, we offer a wide range of graduate programs and research that extends to such national concerns as forest health and bioterrorism. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
* Flagstaff has a population of about 57,000, rich in cultural diversity. Located at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff is 140 miles north of Phoenix at the intersection of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40. With its elevation of 7,000 feet and four-season climate, Flagstaff is ideal for year-round outdoor activities. Nearby attractions include the Grand Canyon, Lowell Observatory, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, Monument Valley, Sunset Crater, Meteor Crater, and Arizona Snowbowl.
* NAU requires a minimum of a criminal county conviction investigation and an employment investigation of ten years history for all regular full-time and part-time positions. Additionally, an Education Credentials Investigation is required on all regular faculty positions.
$43,000-$46,000 per academic year, depending on experience.
This position will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on January 9, 2006.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
How to Apply