EDITOR & CURATOR, RHIZOME
Deadline: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Rhizome seeks an experienced Editor & Curator to create and communicate a distinctive and unique voice for Rhizome – one that is international in scope and engages with the history, values and direction of the organization as a leader in contemporary art and technology.
Rhizome is a 501c3 non-profit organization based within the iconic New Museum of Contemporary Art in SoHo, NYC. Founded in 1996, Rhizome's programs, many of which happen online, support artists working at the furthest reaches of technological experimentation as well as those responding to the broader aesthetic, social and political implications of new tools and media.
The role will significantly shape the artistic direction of the organization overall. The Editor & Curator will be primarily responsible for the editorial vision of Rhizome.org, assigning, editing and occasionally writing features for the site. Additionally, s/he will ensure the art and ideas featured on the site tie into all areas of Rhizome’s program, by working closely with the Rhizome staff, and by initiating and/or leading on select curatorial programs.
- To work closely with the Executive Director to shape Rhizome’s overall artistic direction
- Assign, edit and occasionally write stories for the Rhizome.org site, across a variety of disciplines including art and technology
- Cultivate and manage a strong team of writers
- Develop and experiment with formats for Rhizome’s online publishing, while maintaining consistent voice and style guide
- Act as a strong and visible advocate for Rhizome through public speaking, online/social media discussion and other avenues
- Help engage with and cultivate a readership and community around Rhizome.org
- Initiate and lead on select curatorial and public programs; feed curatorial ideas into all Rhizome programs
- Proactively feed into strategic conversations about Rhizome’s site, programs and future
- Thorough knowledge of contemporary art, technology, and online culture
- Senior experience in editing and/or curating, ideally with demonstrated aptitude in both
- An understanding of and interest in online publishing
- Writing experience that demonstrates a high capacity for critical thought and strong ideas
- Excellent national and international contacts in art and technology, as well as with writers
- Articulate and engaging communicator; confident public speaking skills and an excellent command of the written language
- Managerial and team working skills, and generosity, toward working effectively within an organizational structure
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and two writing samples to email@example.com by Wednesday, February 6, 2013
New York, New York New York 10002
United States of America