2D/Stop-Motion Animation Full-Time Faculty
The Animation department of the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) invites applications for a full-time position with a multi-year renewable contract in a non-tenure institution.
Begins: Fall 2012
The college is seeking an inspiring 2D and stop-motion animator / artist who will compliment our animation faculty team; who can be a great mentor for our students; and who is willing to help develop the stop-motion side of our department. The curriculum offers 2D, 3D and stop-motion animation. MICA's Animation students are encouraged to focus on concept and ideas over techniques, to take risks and to develop their own voices as artists. In addition to stop-motion, the ideal candidate will be able to teach traditional 2D animation as an art form both technically and aesthetically.
Responsibilities include teaching three undergraduate studio classes each semester and participation in institutional, department, and committee service. In addition to teaching, all full-time faculty are expected to pursue research and/or professional engagements that contribute to the educational mission of the department and the college.
- MFA in animation or a related field
Teaching experience at the college or equivalent level.
- A strong background in traditional 2D animation film-making
- Familiarity with the animation process from storyboard to postproduction
Knowledge of the history of animation
- Connections with the animation industry
- A personal vision reflected in his/her own work and teaching philosophy
- Outstanding portfolio of personal and professional work.
- Knowledge of multiple animation techniques such as traditional cutouts, puppets, sand animation, paint on glass, and 2D hand drawn animation
- Familiarity with digital tools and applications such as scanners; Adobe PhotoShop; Flash; After Effects; ToonBoom; Dragon; Final Cut Pro.
- Successful Candidate will be required to complete a full background check
Valued but not required:
- 5 years of full-time teaching experience
- 3 years of professional animation experience
- A knowledge of 3D animation.
- Ability to teach the history of animation
- Administrative experience
Salary: Commensurate with experience and college policy; excellent benefits package.
Apply: The search committee will review applications as received. Although materials received by January 20, 2012 are best assured of receiving full consideration, the position will remain open until filled. All inquiries, nominations, and applications will be held in the strictest confidence.
For the full position description see our Careers at MICA website link on http://www.mica.edu/hr.
To be considered for the position please apply online through SlideRoom (https://micahr.slideroom.com/)
Once you have navigated to SlideRoom you will be asked to login or create a login. If you are creating an account you will be sent an email with instructions to activate your SlideRoom account. You will not be able to login and apply until you have activated your account.
Once you have logged in please follow these instructions. These instructions will also be posted in SlideRoom as you are applying.
Submit through SlideRoom:
- One multi-page pdf document with:
o Letter of application
o Curriculum Vitae
o Statement describing areas of expertise, research, and professional accomplishments
o Statement of teaching philosophy
o Names, phone numbers, and email addresses for three references
- Screen-resolution documentation of recent work:
o Sample should be a short scene, trailer or sample reel from a film.
o Up to four minutes in length.
o Format: h.264 (.mov file)
o Resolution: 380x213 (16:9 HD)
o KBPS: 2000
o Audio: AAC, 48 kHz, 128 kbps
o Maximum file size of 60 MB
Full-resolution work documentation may be requested from you at a future date.
Links to live URLs may be submitted as well, but will be considered as a secondary source.
MICA cannot accept, review or be responsible for hardcopies or original copies of portfolio materials. Please do not submit supplemental or original portfolio materials, as they will not be considered or returned.
United States of America