Dates for New Forms Festival 2003 - are July 30th to Aug 2nd, IN Vancouver Canada - not as posted here
POSTED BY: Camille Baker | Mon Jul 14th, 2003 4:15 p.m.
Camille's media art interests include: responsive environments, networked performance and interactive media, mobile video, media installation, online communities, telematics, and new media curating. See the online portfolio at : www.swampgirl67.net Currently, she is a PhD Candidate at The University of East London, London England, in the SMARTlab Digital Media Institute PhD Programme. Camille also holds a Masters in Applied Science in Interactive Arts, completed in April 2004 in the Graduate Program in the School of Interactive Arts and Technology at Simon Fraser University. My research focused on Interactive Video Art Installation, Embodiment/Bodies and Performance, Wearable Art and Virtual Sensor Environments, and Philosophy of Art and Technology. Baker's background ranges from: Lead Curator, Conference Director and Co-Performance Art Curator of the New Forms Festival; to video artist; to web editor-in-chief of a pop-culture relationship support magazine Tales of Slacker Bonding (www.slackerbonding.com); to documentary, online video and animation artist; to visual arts curator/gallery owner; to new media and web design /developer; to poet and science fiction writer; to musician, singer/ songwriter and performer; to sculptor and modern dancer. Camille has presented at MobileFest London December 2007, Cultural Studies NOW Conference 2007, University East London; Knowledge London Summer Party and Exhibition 2007, University of Westminster, London; Teaching and Learning Conference 2007, University East London; The New Forms Festival 2006: TRANSFORMATIONS, ArtCamp: the World's First un-Conference on Art, Vancouver, BC; The Caladan Gallery online exhibition, March 2005, Beverly, Massachusetts; The Planetary Collegium’s Consciousness Reframed 2004: Qi and Complexity Conference, Beijing, China in November 2004; The Fifth International Digital Arts and Culture Conference 2003, Melbourne, Australia; SXSW 2002 Interactive Award Finalist in Austin, Texas, 2002. In 2005, Camille co-founded a performance media society called The Escape Artists Society, intended to showcase a diverse range of performance media artists, who demonstrate innovation and excellence in multi-disciplined performance (a hybrid of interventionist, ritual based, action based, artists and dancers working with new technologies), as well as new media artists in public spaces, and wearable art exhibitions (http://www.escapeartists.ca/). From 2003-2006, Baker was a researcher for the wearable art installation and performance project whispers/between bodies project (http://whisper.iat.sfu.ca), with professors Thecla Schiphorst and Dr. Susan Kozel. This has involved research in performance and wearable design, biosensor testing and development, prototype garment construction, movement development with wearable computing, as well as website development and video editing. As a producer/curator for the New Forms Festival (www.newformsfestival.com) for multiple events from 2002-2004, Camille explored new media arts exhibition and performance issues extensively. She researched the wealth of media-based art and performance, such as: recent developments, new media art and performance history, exhibition and event production, staging issues, arts funding and administration, as well as hands-on staging, exhibition and production planning. As a media artist within various forms of art practice (installation, experience design, video art, web animation, as well as music and photography), Baker sees her work about creating artistic experiences using technology, not necessarily about manifesting her own creative vision or aesthetic per se and hope to continue to explore this approach in future works. Camille sees herself as a creative facilitator, using art, performance, music, social science, philosophy and science and other disciplines, as a source of tools to borrow from and sometimes she needs to create tools to make connections and something new when they are not available.
More from Camille Baker:
- discussion thread: For Immediate Release: Intercontinental Skype Discussion on VJ Theory and Practice - May 26th Video In (VIVO)
- discussion thread: Immediate Release: Intercontinental Skype Discussion on VJ Theory and Practice - May 26th Video In (VIVO)
- discussion thread: video footage - "other stories" capturing motion, telling tales, spinning yarns=?ISO-8859-1?B?ig==
- discussion thread: For Immediate Release: T.E.A.S. + Mesh Presents - "other stories" capturing motion, telling tales, spinning yarns=?ISO-8859-1?B?ig==
- discussion thread: FW: New Forms Festival 07: Call for Proposals
- discussion thread: The Escape Artists Society (T.E.A.S.) eyeTEASers video iPod gallery - VIDEOS ONLINE NOW
- discussion thread: For Immediate Release: The Escape Artists Society (T.E.A.S.) Presents - Jamie Griffiths' "COMMON"
- discussion thread: Reminder: eyeTEASers: Video Art Podified - June 22nd! 7-11pm
- discussion thread: eyeTEASers event: Video Art Podified - June 22nd!
- discussion thread: FINAL CALL- DEADLINE May 19th, 5pm: ViPod Gallery submissions!